We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Does anyone know what castles - the most ancient medieval - should/can I visit having a 1 day stay in Cardiff?

I would be grateful for your opinion.

all the best,

Tortie

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

I do chuckle when locals say that Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch are not medieval. Cardiff Castle has Roman, Norman and Plantagenet remains to visit, although the main house (dating from about 1430) had its interiors substantially remodelled in the 19th century with spires and towers added outside.

Castell Coch was NOT built as a folly. It dates from at least the 13th century and the medieval rooms (albeit small) can be visited at the base of two of the towers and the unusual stone shell on the motte, and medieval walls, can be seen quite clearly. The basement chambers of the kitchen tower are unusual in that they have double vaulted ceilings. The castle, like Cardiff Castle, was extensively reconstructed in the 19th century with its ornate fantasy rooms built over the medieval remains. However, the modern and medieval parts are kept quite distinct so you can see where old met new.

I also laugh when people say Caerphilly is a "real" medieval castle. It went through significant rebuilding and restoration in the twentieth century but cleverly done so you cannot tell!

Edited: 01 April 2014, 10:09
Wales
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Imagine if Cadw had been around when William Burges was putting forward his plans for Cardiff Castle, Jim! "You want to do WHAT??? No way!"

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

LOL Cymraesun!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

thank you, suebovington

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Hello and many! thanks! to all of you:

JimCardiffresident

CymraesUn

buzzard2000

RhiwDragon

sherpajacob

PoolLounger

MrBadgeruk

C0rnc0b

KnowAll

suebovington

I understand that there are 4 castles near Cardiff - "truly" medieval or not - which are worth visiting: Cardiff, Caefphilly, Coch, and Newport and it's up to me now :)- to choose "the most medieval" ...

I really wanted to know what "locals"'s opinion would be on my questions and your replies are fantastic! Appreciate it. We will travel by train from Pembroke to Cardiff, where at the airport we'd like to take a flight back to the continent.

All the best,

Tortie

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Just a word of warning - Newport Castle is now just a few piles of stones next to a roundabout. I'd stick with the other three. If medieval is your interest, pop into St Johns church near Cardiff Castle

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

Newport castle ?? Tortie,, don't even consider going there, The pile of rubble known as Newport castle is a sad reflection of Newport "city" frankly the place is a dump.

if you want a castle, jump on the train from Cardiff to Caerphilly, the castle there is second only to Windsor as the biggest in Britain It's massive, with a huge moat and grounds. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station, trains run to and from Cardiff every 15 minutes it's well worth a visit.

Alf

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,881 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

There won't be time for you to do many but for the sake of anyone doing a search on this there is also the few (very few) remains of Caerleon Castle and also remains of Roman occupation.

http://www.castlewales.com/caerleon.html

http://www.caerleon.net/intro/

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/United_King…

Lovely village very near Newport which has a rail link to Cardiff

19. Re: Ancient medieval castles in Cardiff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:15