We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Which Cardiff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Hi all, my husband and I will leave London on a Tuesday morning and head to Cardiff for 2 nts. We will stay at Marriott City centre ( already booked). We were planning on the Hop on Hop off bus for an overview. The Welsh Life Museum sounds wonderful too. We enjoy a nice Indian meal and would love any suggestions. We will not have a car, so walking would be preferable. Thank you in advance

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Hi Englishroots.

Museum of Welsh Life (which they don't actually call it anymore, but I prefer to the new title of National History Museum) is lovely. Not walkable from the City Centre, but it is an easy bus ride.

I'm not a big fan of HOHO buses in general, but can see why people might use them somewhere like London where everything is spread out. The Cardiff one is pretty pointless IMO, everywhere it goes is very easily walkable. It basically circles the City centre, which is very compact. Then goes down to the Bay, which you can walk to in 25 mins from your hotel, or get a standard bus to from close by to your hotel. Again, once you get there, not only is it walkable, but that's the best way to actually see things.

Best Indian style food in Cardiff is at Purple Poppadom http://purplepoppadom.com/ which is a little out of the City Centre. You can walk there, depending on what your definition of walkable is, but you may prefer to take a taxi. Also good is Moksh at Mermaid Quay/Cardiff Bay http://www.moksh.co.uk/ . That, as above, easily reachable on the Number 6 bus from near to your hotel.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Thanks very much. We have not been to Cardiff so don't know lay of the land and your comment about hoho is well taken. We will def. plan on the "National History Museum" as one of our priorities! And The Purple Poppadom sounds great too ; )

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Do you have any other plans/ideas for places to see whilst in Cardiff?

As i said previously, the City Centre is very compact and easily walked. Cardiff Castle is worth a couple of hours and the museum also has a lot of interest.

I was presuming you were arriving by train from London and will not have access to a car, but you didn't actually say that, is that correct?

This map here: buscms.com/CardiffBus/uploadedfiles/wheretoc… shows bus stops in the City Centre. Your hotel is next to the library, between stops Q, S and R. The Number 6 bus goes to Cardiff Bay (and is usually, though not alway, a long blue bendy bus with 'Baycar' painted all over). That stops at stop S and stop Q, doing a lap of the centre in between - you would want to catch it from stop Q on the way out and alight at stop S on the way back. They do give change on the buses, so ensure you have the correct change. Adult fare is currently £1.70.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 09:04
Cardiff
Level Contributor
135 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

I've actually done the bus tour and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I saw a lot of the architecture from a different perspective (and that I'd never noticed) and saw a lot not visible from street level.

It's a good way to get a quick overview of the City and Bay then set off on foot later for the stops that interested you.

The commentary was interesting too and I learned quite a bit about the city I live in.

Two other good restaurants just outside town are Mowgli's and the Balti Empire.

I can recommend them both - the menus are varied and they're not just the standard "old favourites".

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Caerphilly Castle or Chepstow Castle (both accessible by train from Cardiff) are possible places to visit.

Or they do fast boat trips from Cardiff Bay out into the Bristol Channel.

This is a very useful public transport journey planner

http://www.traveline-cymru.info/

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,900 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

HoHo buses are a subjective thing, some people love them and some hate them! They also vary by town, as they ar efrancgised operations. For example, we thought the Stratfiord Upon Avon tour was poor, but the one in Newcastle Upon Tyne was great.

If you have an interesting commentary, then that is what makes all the difference between the experience being worthwhile and a dead loss. Sadly, we've never done the Cardiff tour so I can't comment specifically on that one. :(

But there are plenty of other things to in and around Cardiff including the castles and boat trips mentioned by PoolLounger. I love the old lightship in the Bay, it's my favourite attraction!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

A new Indian restaurant has opened up in the City Centre. It has had mostly decent reviews so far and is reasonably priced.

http://toladverts.co.uk/barbucci/

Check the Tripadvisor reviews a little nearer your visit as you will find that most Indian Restaurants are only as good as their current chef.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186460-…

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

ComOb, yes, yes, we will be arriving by train from London. We had planned on the Cardiff Castle for sure. After reading many posts about the Welsh Life Museum, we wanted to include that as well. As BT Cardiff mentioned, we had considered the hoho bus tour as an introductory overview since it is our first time. Please, I must ask a question that may cause some snickers but where is Cardiff Bay in relation to the City Centre? Thank you theghurka for the info on the new Indian Restaurant. I will keep an eye out for reviews! We live in the Deep South (Alabama) and we just do not get much in the way of Indian fare here. Lots of biscuits and gravy and bar b q! lol. thanks y'all

Cardiff
Level Contributor
135 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Hi English, the bay is an area of Cardiff which has had massive regeneration and is now a very attractive restaurant/bar/theatre and boating area.

It also has some great children's attractions - Techniquest and the Dr Who centre.

It's about a 40 minute walk from the City to the harbour area but there's a "bendy bus" service city to bay every ten minutes.

Get on Google Earth and tap in Wales Millennium Centre or National Assembly for Wales and you'll be in the heart of the Bay

(As already mentioned there's an Indian restaurant in the Bay if you want to combine "must do's).

Edited: 05 March 2014, 08:58
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A visit to Cardiff in Sept 2014

Thank you BT! So much to do and see and now we are getting very excited. ; )