We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closest beach to city

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
closest beach to city

Hi all, hubby and I are heading to Wales for the first time. We're spending a few days in Cardiff before going to Merthyr Rocks on SUnday.

allegedly the weather is supposed to be decent, so wondering if there are any decent (ie sand and relatively clean) beaches that you can get to by public transport ?

ideally less than a 1 hr train journey.

Thanks!!!!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closest beach to city

http://www.cardiffbaybeach.co.uk/

Or Barry Island. Or Ogmore/Southerndown which is much nicer but not on a train line, so you'd probably have to go to Bridgend and then get a bus.

Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closest beach to city

The nearest and quickest is Barry Island by train from Cardiff Central

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,654 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: closest beach to city

There's a beach in Penarth..that's probably the nearest to Cardiff.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: closest beach to city

The one in Penarth is quite pebbly however, so for a sandy beach (albeit quite coarse sand) Barry would be better. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the Bristol Channel, you don't really get the sort of beaches you'd want to spend a lot of time on until you reach Bridgend (beaches above plus Porthcawl).

I'd be tempted to take the train to Swansea and visit Swansea Bay and the Mumbles, or take the bus down to the Gower.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,390 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: closest beach to city

As the OP wants a less than one hour train journey, they probably have ruled out Gower, even though the beaches there are superb. I'd say Barry Island is their best bet.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,654 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: closest beach to city

Penarth beach is pebbly, but the OP is arriving in October so makes not much difference what kind of a beach it is,,,.but I would agree with the above posts..Gower is lovely...

7. Re: closest beach to city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17