We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in and around Cardiff...........

Chennai
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in and around Cardiff...........

I just got an offer to work at one of the hotels in Cardiff as Head Housekeeper. I need a lot of information from the people at Cardiff. Could you please provide me details on the following

1.I need an accommodation for myself. I am a 27 yr old bachelor so i guess a one bedroom with attached bathroom should be more than enough for me.How much does it cost me per month. Do i need to pay any advance.???

2.What is the cost of living in general. Like food, drinks etc.

3.How safe it is for a lonely gentlemen at Cardiff.?

4.Is 25000 pound per annum for a job at Cardiff is worth it or not.

5.Tax structure too please.

I would be thankful if someone can provide me with these details.

Shall appreciate if someone can mail me at sunny_y2k_79@yahoo.com

Regards,

Manny

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in and around Cardiff...........

Hi Manny

I am not too familiar with the rental market in Cardiff. However, I would suggest that your first step should be to contact your new employer for advice on the taxation side of things (it might depend on what kind of contract/work permit you have, and advice from them on accommodation etc. Perhaps if you do a web search of some agents. A good website is www.rightmove.co.uk

it is self explanatory to enter your requirements and it collects info from a number of agents so you should get a good feel for the going rate. Naturally the more upmarket parts of town will charge higher rents.

Cardiff is generally speaking a safe city, with the usual rules applying about using your common sense and not putting yourself in any vulnerable situations. £25k is not bad if you can manage to get some reasonable accommodation - you should be able to manage quite adequately on that - it depends on what your lifestyle expectation are - eg do you intend to get a car etc. Central Cardiff can get expensive for things like eating out and entertainment - rents are higher in the centre than around Cardiff. Given the nature of your job you may be working late/early hours so I expect you will need to live fairly close to the hotel - can you say which hotel it is?

Check the reviews on this site regarding the hotel you are to work for - how customers rate the hotel will be a good indication of how good an employer they are likely to be - nothing could be worse than finding yourself in a strange city with a bad and uncaring employer.

Good luck!

Jim

2. Re: Accommodation in and around Cardiff...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 22:17