We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cowbridge

Mesa Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Cowbridge

Hi,

My sister, cousin, husband and I are planning a trip to London in September. As our paternal great grand parents are from Cowbridge we plan to spend a day or two there.

We know that they worked on Newton Farms just outside of Cowbridge. My younger sister visited there in 2001 and was able to locate the house our g-grandparents lived in prior to immigrating to the USA. We would love to be able to visit there also, but were warned how hard it would be to find Newton Farms. My younger sister said she and her husband "found it by accident".

We were wondering if there would be a way to hire someone in Cowbridge to take us out to Newton Farms?

We are so excited to visit. We have no living relatives in the area (that we know of) but feel as though there is a connection to this area.

My maiden name was Griffiths. My g-grandparents names were Thomas and Elizabeth.

Thanks...

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hello, Cowbridge is nearer Cardiff than Swansea so you'd probably get more response on the Cardiff forum.

I hope that you find the farm that you are looking for and I hope that you enjoy your trip.

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
521 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

I suggest you try putting a message on the Rootsweb genealogy mailing list. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with the location and you may even find people researching your family. The address is www.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Scroll down to mailing lists, click on index, look for Wales, then Glamorgan. To see the sort of subjects it covers, click on browse archive. To ask a question you will need to subscribe (it's free and you can easily unsubscribe). Try Google maps as well.

Vale of Glamorgan
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hi

I live very closed to Newton, near Cowbridge. There is a farm called Newton House Farm. I presume this is the farm you refer to?

You can check the location on www.multimap.co.uk

Use the post(zip)code CF71 7RZ

I would be happy to help find more information if I can.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Another web site you can use is:

www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

Click on the pink circle "I want to get a map now" and enter CF71 7RZ which Tails56 has identified.

Once the map has loaded you can use the buttons to zoom in and out. Click on the big circle with + in it. It brings up a very detailed map which marks the exact location of Newton Farm and Newton House Farm. Using this map you should be able to find the farms without too many problems.

Eleanor

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Another thought - the map marks churches in Llansanner and Ystradowen. It might be worth going to look and see if your family are buried in the graveyard of either of these churches...

Eleanor

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

The excellent community newspaper for Cowbridge, the Cowbridge Gem, may well be able to help.

Check out www.cowbridge-today.co.uk.

Good luck with your quest. The Vale of Glamorgan is a lovely part of the world.

Mesa Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Sorry it has taken so long for my reply.

We appreciate being able to narrow our search to the appropriate area.

Thanks again,

We are looking forward to visiting Wales....

Mesa Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hello,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am finally getting a chance to write my appreciation to those that provided us with some excellent suggestions.

My sister is going to follow through with your suggestion to find out more about our roots in Wales.

We are truly excited to visit Wales. This trip has been a long time in the planning and still seems like a long time away.

Thanks again for your input!

Mesa Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hi,

I finally have a chance to respond to the very helpful and kind people that have responded to my post.

I am very excited to hear that you live in Newton and know about Newton Farm. I am almost certain it is the same place. I did try to locate it using the link you provided but my knowledge of the geography of Wales is extrememly limited.

It would be wonderful to learn more about the area and most especially how to locate Newton Farms once we are in Cowbridge.

Should we continue to communicate on this website or would you like my email address?

Thanks so much for your response. Looking forward to hearing from you.

We are so excited to finally be able to visit Wales!

Mesa Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Cowbridge

Hi Eleanor,

Wow, thanks for the help. I will try your suggestions. As I just said in my response to the last poster my knowledge of Wales geography is extremely limited. Your suggestion is certainly going to be helpful and is appreciated.

We are so looking forward to our visit. Everyone has been so kind by taking the time to respond to my questions.

Thanks again!