We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swansea or Mumbles?

England
Level Contributor
230 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Swansea or Mumbles?

Hi there - so we've narrowed it down to Mumbles or Swansea bay. We like good restuarants and nice bars and a few shops. We will be staying for 6 nights. Help!

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

I live in Swansea and my answer to your question would be that it doesn't really matter whether you stay in Swansea or in Mumbles because they are so close together that you can spend time in both. There's a great bus service between the two, or it's 10 minutes drive from one to the other.

Lots of lovely bars and restaurants in Swansea and the same for Mumbles.

If you stay at the Marriott on the Marina in Swansea you can see Mumbles from there, so the best of everything.

Personally, I'd stay in Swansea and go out to Mumbles for a walk and a look round, maybe some lunch, but there are more shops in Swansea and a better choice of bars.

2. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 18:20
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,415 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

It depends very much on what sort of a place you want to stay in. Both Swansea and Mumbles are interesting places in themselves but Swansea is a bustling city whilst Mumbles is more of a seaside town, busy but with a different atmosphere as it;s aplace many people go to on a Sunday to relax!

I would probably stay in Swansea and visit Mumbles, as has been suggested. There are lots of things to do in Swanse aif the weather isn;t too good, there are 2 museums, a big leisure centre (the LC2), several art galleries and the Dylan Thomas Centre. Swansea Guided Walks are also running guided wlaks aroudn the city this year, they are a good way to get your bearings and get an insight into the local history and local people too.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,202 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

Hi,

if I can just throw my two penny worth in, agree with the above, great choice for a stay, and would think that staying in Swansea with all its attractions both day and night, and using the public transport for your visits to the mumbles and gower would be the ideal way to do it

enjoy

Swadlincote, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

As an Ex-pat I like to return to my home town now & then. My last visit took place 14 June of this year for a week in Reynoldston: see my entry. The time before was some 30yrs ago, what a change, I hardly recognise the place. I cannot say I liked it but I reckon it must be an improvement from my last visit. (I do not like big cities, the crowds & the traffic with all it's attendant problems). To be fair though you could not choose a better destination. There is the best of both worlds. The city & all it has to offer, then just down the road the countryside & coast with it's own offerings, & there are plenty as well.. I think your choice should be based on your requirements, Cost, Comfort, Amenities, I doubt you will go wrong

6. Re: Swansea or Mumbles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:16