We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port talbot

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
port talbot

we will be taking train to port talbot from london round trip same day. when get to station will we be able to get cab and how far ismargam rd......any suggestions and if we leave 2 people at station anything they can walk to of interest....thank you...teetee45

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: port talbot

Are you getting the train to Port Talbot Parkway? Is it this journey:

http://g.co/maps/r9fv

I would arrange for a taxi to meet you at the train station. Try some of the companies from this link:

http://www.britinfo.net/taxis/TCOHP28050.htm

Port Talbot is a little run-down. The seafront at Aberavon is nice enough. There is a baked bean museum:

www.bakedbeanmuseumofexcellence.org.uk/

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: port talbot

Taxi will be the best idea as previously suggested. There's not much to do in Port Talbot. It might be better for the two people to get off in Cardiff, at least there you are in the middle of town and there are shopping centres, or a visit to the castle.

You can all meet up again on the return journey.

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: port talbot

thank you for your help....we are going to margam road.....how far is that from the train and is there anything in that area for our friends to go to

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: port talbot

thank you....i have no idea other then we are getting on paddington station to port talbot.....we are coming from us and have never been so any help is appreciated

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: port talbot

If you click on the first link I provided above it will show the map route from the station to a central point on Margam Road. It says it is about 1.3 miles.

However, Margam Road is a long road so it depends where you are going on it.

As Swan007 said if you haven't booked your train tickets yet (or you can adjust them) consider changing two of the tickets to alight at Cardiff Central. It is one of the stations on the same line from Paddington to Port Talbot. There are a lot more things to do in Cardiff and shopping, castles, pubs etc all within a stone's throw from the station.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: port talbot

I'd agree with previous posters about your two companions who aren't going to Margam Road get off at Cardiff instead of coming on to Port Talbot. It's not a very attractive town (with huge steelworks and a motorway cutting through), ad whilst the beach at Aberavon is nice, you do need toctake a taxi from the station to the beach. Cardiff on the other hand has the train station right in the centre of the town so your companions can do a bit of shopping, visit the castle or have a coffee in one of the many cafes in the centre.

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: port talbot

thank you for all your help......we will use the advice definitely....thank you

Swansea, Wales
Destination Expert
for Swansea
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: port talbot

If you get off at Cardiff then you'll either have to get back on the train, catch a bus or face a very expensive taxi ride.

There's a taxi rank outside Port Talbot parkway station and it's a 5 minute journey by car.

As for things to do near Port Talbot? My God, think everyone is being a little narrow minded. You've got Margam Park, Aberavon Sea front, Afan Valley Country Park, countless walks, short trips can be arranged to some fantastic waterfalls etc. It's not all about shopping & coffee shops!!! And you're only another bus/train/taxi ride to Swansea & it's SA1 development (to cater for those with caffeine needs!), Mumbles, the beautiful Gower.... I could go on.

I'm assuming you've got family/friends in Port Talbot to be naming Margam Road specifically? Pop to the Twelve Knights for a pint!

I will warn you, if you're looking to do a one day round trip it's going to be a long day (4 hour train journey each way).

What ever you do & wherever you stop off, welcome to Wales :)

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: port talbot

Just had a look on thetrainline.com

Looking at weekday travel...

There are direct trains from Paddington to Port Talbot Parkway at 45mins past the hour (Journey time 2hr 37 mins)

and trains requiring one change (at either Newport or Cardiff) at 15 mins past the hour. (Journey time varies - about 2hr 56 mins)

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: port talbot

Have to agree with Kamaya. Port Talbot is a smallish industrial town yes, but surrounded by stunning countryside.

http://www.visitnpt.co.uk/

Get answers to your questions about Swansea