We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

I am taking my parents on a nostalgia trip to the Mumbles next week and they want to visit all their old haunts (My mum was born and bred in the Mumbles but hasn't been back for over twenty years).

They are both in their mid eighties and can walk for about 15 mins without getting too tired, Three cliffs has been mentioned for a visit but from my memory its a long walk. Does anyone have any tips for how to get the best out of beach walks with older people. Places up close to park for some beaches for example? We're staying near Langland are the cliff paths suitable there? We can borrow a wheel chair if there is anywhere easy to walk with it for instance? We have a car.

Any help gratefully received. We also have teenagers so anything that suits both ends of the fitness spectrum would be great also!

Thanks

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

H.i there is a very good footpath around the headland from Langland to Caswell bay. i wouldnt know if it's suitable for wheel chair use, but parking is very good at Caswell bay with only a short walk from the carpark to the beach, And don't forget worms head, stunning views and easy parking at this time of the year, the teenagers can walk to the end of the headland or down to the beach while, you treat mam and dad to a cuppa in the cafe at the top, well worth the extra 40 minute drive.

hope you all enjoy it,

Alf

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

Oxwich is fairly accessible - you could park in the Oxwich Bay Hotel and if it's nice sit outside with a coffee/lunch enjoying the views across the bay (towards Three Cliffs).

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

Great thanks for both replies, really helpful. A decent footpath is probably fine, and the walk round the headland to Casswell sounds perfect actually. Any idea how long it would take at slowish pace, to Caswell and back? Are there toilets anywhere on route? Sorry, I'm just trying to avoid a grumpy dad moaning.

I was also thinking of the Aberdulais falls and tin mine, is that worth the trip? Reviews on here are good and it looks like it would meet all the needs!

Worms head is a definite, exactly as described plus a cream tea for those waiting!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

If your Mum comes from Mumbles, then Caswell is a great idea and the view from Rhosslli is superb.

Besides Oxwich, another beach which has a car park and easy access to the beach is Port Eynon which is not too far from Rhossili.

Unfortunately, the beautiful Three Cliffs and Pobbles Bays would be out of the question, but they might enjoy the view from Southgate.

Another thought, you could take them to the top of the ridge of Cefn Bryn, where, if the weather permits, you can see both the north and south coasts of Gower.

Wales
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

Regarding a visit to Aberdulais - it is certainly well worth a visit - lots if history, lovely views and more.

The National Trust has done a lot there to improve access and there are lifts to take people to the top of the Gorge to enjoy the views. Best to go on a clear day if possible..

Lots more information here on the NT site :-

nationaltrust.org.uk/aberdulais-tinworks-and…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
51,170 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

The easiest access to a beach is at Caswell, Oxwich and Port Eynon. At these bays there are car parks adjacent or very close to the beach itself. There is a good view of Oxwich Bay from Pennard Cliffs, where there is a nice cafe as well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

There's a listing for "accessible beaches" on this website - also includes a site for wheelchair hire:

visitswanseabay.com/index.cfm?articleid=42676

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

Thank you everyone, this is fantastic. Particularly fascinated by the all terrain wheel chair!

Lady Bracknell I cant find out where Cefn Bryn is, can you give me a pointer please?

All other suggestions are great, thanks again. Really helpful.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,421 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

I'm hopeless giving directions, so I apologize in advance.

You take the southern Gower road - the one that goes through Parkmill - when you've gone up Penmaen hill and reach Penmaen church, there's a road to your right and that will take you up to Cefn Bryn. Should you miss that turning, I think most roads on the right would take you near there. Last year, I found my way up there through the pretty village of Reynoldston which is quite a bit further on from Penmaen.

When in doubt or lost, you can always stop and ask someone - hope this helps a bit!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
436 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easy access to Gower beaches for older people

Landland is a great choice with plenty of parking and places to sit and it is where I usually took my mother when she was of a similar age. If your parents are only good for a 15 minute walk, I think the walk from Langland to Caswell would be too challenging. It takes a little longer than that to walk and there is quite a steep climb in the middle. However, there is a promenade across the beach at Langland, with a cafe at either end; the walk up to Landland Point is flat and there are several benches to rest on when you get there. Your teenagers would probably love to walk on to Caswell and back whilst your parents wander back and have a coffee. I endorse the suggested visits to Rhossilli and Oxwich as well ~ both have beautiful views and good cafes. Mumbles itself has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years and I'm sure your parents would enjoy walking along the front and visiting Bracelet Bay, opposite the Lighthouse (another good cafe!).