We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Glasgow
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Hi there, im originally from Swansea and down for a long weekend with friends (5 guys, age range between 30 & 45).

We are staying in the Marina area, however, with all the changes to the place just wondering where the best places are for:

Dinner on a Saturday night

Places to go for a drink (bar/pub/club for later night drinks)

Spot of Sunday lunch

Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Hi Mccousins

Most of the bars on Wind St will be open late. There are the usual chains like Lloyds, Walkabout, Revolution and Yates. There are also a couple of independent places such as No Sign Wine Bar which usually has live music donwstairs in the Vault at weekends.

Wind St is not far from one end of the marina, are you staying at the Marriott? If so, that is the other end, unfortunately, but you can probably walk it in around 10 mins.

As for Saturday night dinner, what sort of cuisine are you looking for? My favourite Indian is the Anarkali which is a litle out of the city. Come to think of it, you probably already know about it, it;'s being going for at least 25 years!

La Braseria might be a good choice if you want to hit the bars as it is at the bottom of Wind St. Spanish style cuisine. Like the bars, you will find a few chains in Wind St like Chiquita and Frankie and Benny's. Personally, I'd be a bit more adventurous, though!

Sorry, I've never had a traditional Sunday lunch in Swansea, and I'm struggling to think of somewhere that might do a nice one. I have heard that the Westbourne, a pub down by the Anarkali is OK, but I haven't experienced it myself.

Swansea, Wales
Destination Expert
for Swansea
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Dinner on a Saturday night - I recently put a review up of 'La Fina' which is where's Eleo's used to be on the Kingsway - great food including tapas, espidatas etc. I've heard very good things about 'Madeira' over the road too. La Braseria is nice, but I've been disappointed last couple of times I've been there as the service has been awful. On the Marina itself you've got Gallinis which is very nice too.

Places to go for a drink (bar/pub/club for later night drinks) - Wind St can be an 'interesting' place on Saturday night - it really depends on what sort of place you're looking for. Again, on the Marina you've got 'The Pumphouse'. As mentioned above, No Sign Wine Bar is a popular destination. There's a pub behind Morgan's which I cannot remember the name of - but it's a proper pub & heard good things about recently.

Spot of Sunday lunch - The Westbourne is nice, but it's near impossible to get Sunday lunch there without advance booking. Bizzie Lizzies Bistro on Walters Road is nice & has fantastic reviews on here, but is very small so advance booking again is essential. A bit further afield you've got The Woodman down Blackpill which does great food too.

Hope this helps!

Swansea, Wales
Destination Expert
for Swansea
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

It's been around a year since I went to The Woodman last, but recent reviews aren't great - so ignore that suggestion from my post!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Thank you for your responses. We are staying at the Village Hotel so probably classed more as SA1 or St Thomas/Port Tennant than the Marina I suppose.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,764 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Kamaya, I have also heard that the Woodman is not as good as it was. I think the pub behind Morgan's could be The Queens Hotel in Gloucester Place?

McCousins, you are definitely not in the Marina, it is SA1! Still, not too far from Wind St and it's wide variety of drinking establishments! I wouldn't take a detour to the Pumphouse though if I was starting from The Village, I'd get straight into the No Sign or The Adelphi on Wind St.

I've been having a bit more of a think about Sunday lunch and there are some nice pubs in Gower, but they are difficult to reach on a Sunday as there isn't much public transport to speak of so you would have to take a taxi.

Two recommendations would be The Poundffald in Three Crosses and The Valley in Bishopston. Advance booking would be a good idea.

Swansea, Wales
Destination Expert
for Swansea
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

There's plenty in SA1 - I have family members who regularly go to Cafe Two Cann which is in the Old J Shed towards the Marina. Heard very good things about the food & service there & the Trip Advisor reviews appear to back this up. This would be more for the Saturday night dinner rather than the Sunday.

Also, another restaurant I forgot about is Vesuvio Romantica - as this was closed for a few months, but is apparently back open now.

But most of the above recommendations still stand and are a couple of minutes journey from the Village Hotel by car/taxi.

Swansea, Wales
Destination Expert
for Swansea
Level Contributor
162 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Here's Cafe Two Cann :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186466-…

Edited: 09 January 2014, 13:30
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,183 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Hi,

Check out La Dolce Vita restaurant on Wind Street; had several lovely meals there.

Regards

Edited: 10 January 2014, 20:01
Glasgow
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

Thanks very much again for your responses guys. Very much looking forward to my weekend!!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in February, where to go for eating and drinking

I cant believe no-one has mentioned the Braseria`s sister restaurant La Parrilla

which is also in the old J shed next to the café Two cann.

Also if you can get in the best 2 restaurants in Swansea city are The Chelsea café just off Wind st and

The Pant-y-Gwydr on Oxford st.