We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Derry airport to ballymena

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Derry airport to ballymena

Hi there:

My partner and I are flying into Derry airport in October with Ryanair arriving at Friday at midday. I must get to Ballymena that night as I have a wedding the next day.

We fly out of Derry on Sunday at 10 pm. So will travle back to Derry on the Sunday.

I know there is the possibility of driving but since this is going to work out expensive and I'm a bit of a nervous driver in places I am not familiar with- I was therefore wondering what alternatives there would be.

Are there are any direct buses out of the airport to ballymena or somehewre close by?

Or am I going to have to get a taxi/bus to Derry City centre and then get a Bus/train from there? (I know trains go to Ballymena from Derry - but no idea if regular or any good)

Also there sees to be no info as to whether there is an airport bus service into Derry and from Derry back to the airport.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

Hi, you can get a bus direct from the airport to Ballymena.

The journey will take a max of 3hrs.

P

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

direct from the airport!? Brilliant! Can you give me details of who runs the service so I can go check out times/prices etc.

Coleraine, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

The city of derry airport website will have information and links to Translink (the bus train company in N Ireland).

I've never heard of a bus going from the airport to Ballymena (but that's not to say there isn't one!) If it did I'd be surprised if it took more than an hour and a half.

I think your best bet would be to get a bus to Derry (I think they are pretty frequent), then a train to Ballymena. You'll have plenty of time on both Friday and Sunday, so if the weather's good and you want to enjoy the main tourist attraction - Causeway Coast - get off at Coleraine.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

Thanks guys - I will check out!

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

anyone have any more info on a direct bus from the airport?

I plan to look at the websites you suggest at the weekend.

Also - can anyone give me an idea of the cost of a return ticket (on 2 different days) ? Or would I be betteer getting 2 singles?

Can you buy online or would I be best just to buy on the day?

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

I may be wrong but I dont think there is any direct bus from Derry airport to Ballymena. I think your best bet would be a taxi from the airport to the train station in Derry and then get the train to Ballymena. The train would take about 1.5 hrs

www.translink.co.uk will give you info on trains. They run roughly every couple of hours or so

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

Hi there - been checking out timetables and I know know what times the trains are but I have 3 questions:

- there seems to be no where on the site which gives prices - either a single or a multiday return price. does anyone know rough prices and whether I'm better getting two singles or a multi day return in terms of prices?

- If I stop at Colleraine - how do I get to the Giants causeway - I googles it and it seems to to take 1hr 10mins on the bus from the bus staion in Colleraine to the Giants Causeway? Is that correct?

-the buses from the airport according to the website are only every 3 hours into derry - and on a sunday the last one back to the airport seems to be at 4.30pm. Can anyibe verify this? or are the buses more regular?

Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

Hi the train costs £8.10 single.

The bus service to the Giants Causeway is terrible on a normal weekday and basically non exsistent on a Sunday a car would be much more handy.

If you are over again I would recommend flying into Belfast as it is a lot easier to get to Ballymena the transport is a lot better.

Thanks

9. Re: Derry airport to ballymena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:17