We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to South Wales from Derry

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to South Wales from Derry

Hello!

We are flying to Belfast on Sat and either taking the train or driving to Derry late Sunday. We must be in Derry Mon, Tues and Wed.

We would like to spend the weekend in South Wales before returning to Belfast for our Monday morning flight back to the States. What would be the best way to get to Wales? We thought about taking the train from Derry to Dublin on Wed, spending Thursday in Dublin, then flying from Dublin to Cardiff on Friday. Any other thoughts?

We also considered flying to Wales from Belfast, but it doesn't seem to make sense to go to Belfast 3 times! Is it worth trying to get to Dublin?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

The train journey from Derry to Dublin isn't direct. It goes via Belfast and you need to change for the Dublin train there, so taking a bus may make more sense. The bus trip takes about 4 hours. Dublin certainly is a more attractive option than Belfast, and there is a lot more to see and do. The downside is that it is also more expensive. But if you've only got one night there it's difficult to say whether it is worthwhile. If you are traveling next weekend then you are unfortunately too early for another option by just a few weeks, as Ryanair commence direct flights out of Derry airport to Bristol soon. Bristol, although in England is only a few miles from the border with south Wales, and Cardiff is about 40 miles away. If you are hiring a car ,and depending on what part of south Wales you want to go to, Bristol airport is sometimes worth considering anyway as an alternative to Cardiff anyway, particularly from a cost point of view.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

We are going to be in Derry on Noveber 18-20th, so I will look into Ryanair! Yes, I don't know if going into Dublin for 2 nights is worth the time. Thank-you very much for the tip.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

Ryanair's Derry-Bristol route will have commenced then. However I would only recommend them with a few caveats.

Ryanair are a cheap airline with a service to match. Some people say they are Europe's worst budget operator. Make sure that if you book on-line that you make absolutely no mistakes - not even minor spelling errors, as they may make you pay an exorbitant surcharge for the correction.

Having said that, as it is a short flight, other service issues are probably less important. Just don't expect any frills. I would consider them simply for the convenience of being able to get so close to south Wales direct from Derry. The other point to note is that the sooner you book the cheaper the fare will be. Fares with Ryanair, in common with other budget airlines, can rise very sharply within a week or two of the flying date.

Enjoy your trip.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

Dublin is a city you definitley have to see but I think Belfast is a much nicer city and the people here are more friendly. Their is plenty to do in Belfast and you will not be bored from you arrive in the city until your departure. Be sure to check out www.gotobelfast.com for things to do!!

Enjoy your stay

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

Thank-you. I think we will remain withour original itinerary which is a lot to fit in. We will hire cars in Derry and Wales, otherwise will use bus service. Still working on details - thoughts?

Sat - arrive in Belfast, bus to city centre, sight-see, overnight Premier Travel Inn

Sunday - Sight-see Belfast, bus to Derry, Clarence House or Aberfoyle B and B

Monday - Am - Hire car and tour Causeaways/Bushmills

Tuesday - Day trip to Donegal

Wed - Bus trip to Dublin - hope to see beauty Irish countryside on the way, Shelbourne Hotel

Thursday - Sight-see Dublin, Shelbourne Hotel

Fri - early flight to South Wales and hire car

Sat - sight-see Tredegar

Sunday - late pm - fly to Belfast

Mon - depart to US

N Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

The Premier Travel Inn sounds like a good choice. It is a fast growing UK chain with a very good reputation, apparently combining good standards with reasonable pricing. However I haven’t stayed with them yet, so my knowledge is second hand. They also have a branch in Antrim, which, at a distance of 5/6 miles, is the nearest town of any significance to Belfast International Airport. Belfast is about 35/45 minutes from the airport by coach, so on your last night you might want to stay within easy reach, rather than go back into the city. Other closer options, are the Hilton, Templepatrick, and, within walking distance of the terminal building, the Park Plaza Hotel. I would suggest that if you have an early morning flight that you check for the availability of taxis at the required time before booking if you decide to stay any distance from the airport.

Clarence House in Derry is probably a better choice than the Aberfoyle, but as I’m sure you will realise, both will be considerably more modest than your other choices, certainly more so than the Shelbourne in Dublin, which is a great choice if you want to splash out. The respective prices will reflect that too!

If you want to splash out further there is a very nice, if pricey restaurant adjacent to the Shelbourne, called the Town Bar & Grill. Also very close by, is the even pricier, Irish American themed, Shanahans On The Green, renowned for the quality of it’s steaks. It has on display JFK’s rocking chair – the original one featured in so many photographs taken during his tenure in the White House. Booking is essential in both of those places, sometimes weeks in advance, though the Shelbourne’s concierge may be able to get you a table at short notice. I think both places also have their own websites and you may be able to book on line there also.

7. Re: Getting to South Wales from Derry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Northern Ireland