We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too much to do in a day?!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Is this too much to do in a day?!

Hi everyone

A friend and I are hiring a car and travelling around Ireland for 3 weeks. We want to spend 2 nights in Belfast, one in Londonderry/Derry and then on to Sligo.

We are really interested in checking out Belfast and Northern Ireland, and want to see the Carrick-a -Rede bridge and the Giant's Causeway, as well as do a drive of the Glens of Antrim before going over and doing a costal drive on the north-west coast of Ireland.

We will be there during Feb/March so we know daylight hours will be limited. Is it too ambitious to think we could explore the Glens of Antrim, the bridge and Giant's Causeway in one day?

I'd love your thoughts! We want to wing it as much as possible and not try to plan our time too much, but also want to make sure we see the things we really want to. I don't want us to regret our time there by whizzing by things too quickly!

Thanks for your advice.

Tracey

Mentioned in this post
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
8,593 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
County Londonderry
County Londonderry
Northern Ireland, UK
Derry
Derry
County Londonderry, UK
Sligo
Sligo
County Sligo, Ireland
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

With an early start from Belfast I think this is doable in one day dependent upon how long you want to stay at each location.

Drive up the Antrim coast road and explore the Glens by both car and on foot using Glenarrif Park as your base. Aim to be at Carrick-a-rede by lunchtime as at that time of year opening hours are limited - please also note that opening of the bridge, at least in terms of crossing it is weather dependent (phone ahead to make sure it is open). The visit there will be about an hour. If closed there are alternative should visits such as Bushmills whiskey distillery.

The Causeway visit will take about two hours in total - my advice is to walk along the cliff top first then descend at the staircase and walk back to the Causeway itself. With a bit of luck the tide will be out.

Finally do not miss the chance to see Dunluce Castle - on a good day with the late afternoon sunshine it is a magical place.

By now you may be very hungry (unless you stopped at Ballycastle for fish and chips) so a mixed grill at The Causeway Hotel may be the very thing before your drive back to Belfast by the much quicker inland road.

Mentioned in this post
Dunluce Castle
Dunluce Castle
2,128 Reviews
Portrush, UK
Antrim Coast Road
Antrim Coast Road
108 Reviews
County Antrim, UK
Causeway Hotel
Causeway Hotel
871 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Bushmills
Bushmills
County Antrim, UK
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

Is Carrick-a-rede bridge open Feb/March? Does the bridge still close for the 'off' season? I thought they only put it up during the summer months? (it might have changed though?)

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

The bridge is now part of the National Trust

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-carrickarede

This suggests that it is potentially open all year but I would think it is likely that it does close frequently in the winter months due to weather

Mentioned in this post
The National
The National
448 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

Thanks BelfastTaxman! This is great. I know lots of things will be closed or inaccessible or the weather might be so bad we might not want to get out of the car! But we'll give it a go. We will give the day trip a go.

Tracey

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

For the first time the rope bridge is open throughout the winter. To make sure you can cross it you will need to be on your way out of Belfast before before the rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

Thanks Drumlough. When is peak hour in Belfast??!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

Oops... rush hour. Australian language!

Edited: 04 January 2010, 09:13
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

8m to 9am. Given that you will be going against the traffic it won't really be a problem, but since it will be dark by around 4.45 you will want to maximize your day. Get away as early as you can.

9. Re: Is this too much to do in a day?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:16