We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

three days in N.I. and no clue

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
three days in N.I. and no clue

Hello - My husband, myself and our 16 yr old will be taking my husband's elderly parents to Magherafelt (evidently where the ancestors are from) in mid-May. My son wants to see the Giant's Causeway and is interested in castles. Other than that, we have no plans, so will likely just drive around and see whatever looks interesting (drive the coast between Larne and the Giant's Causeway?)

It also does not matter too much where we stay, although I'd like to stay generally northeast of Magherafelt just to keep things contained. I have contacted the Terrace Hotel in Magherafelt, and the Avarest Hotel in Portrush with inquiries; are these good choices? I like Portrush because of the beach (at least, it looks like it has a beach for walking on) but don't want to get too touristy. We must have somewhere on the ground floor or with a lift - and I am trying to hit the balance between the parents' need for quiet, and my husband's need of a pint away after a day with the parents... ANY advice is helpful at this point. After N.Ireland we will be going to the Argyll region of Scotland; I presume we will catch the ferry at Larne?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

Avarest Guest house gets my vote every time in Portrush. there are a few good bars down by the Harbour and Avarest is in a quiet spot on a 1way street higher up, The Carrick a Rede rope bridge might amuse your son.

http://www.northantrim.com/carrick_a_rede.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

Thanks! I am in negotiations now with the Avarest, just trying to work out dates and rooms. I chose the seaside --

:)

Ranee

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

I would think P&O Larne - Troon is the best option for Argyll from Antrim.

www.poirishsea.com/passenger/Larne_Troon.htm

Edited: 15 April 2010, 17:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

Thank you! I had seen a ferry schedule that indicated only very few crossings from Larne to Troon, but the 1730 ought to work.

So far, we are leaving Suffolk on Sunday, 16 May, driving 6 hrs to Kirkcudbright (Selkirk Arms).

Monday, taking the Cairnryan-Larne ferry at 1030, driving to Portrush (Avarest House) via the coast road, stopping wherever looks interesting. Tuesday, driving to Megherafelt and surroundings. Staying again at the Avarest.

Wednesday, doing whatever else looks interesting, then taking the Larne-Troon ferry at 1730. The only thing I can't quite figure out is how long it will take to do the ferry crossings if we aren't on the Express, but it doesn't look like more than a couple of hours...?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

If your son is interested in castles, there is a very well-preserved Norman castle at Carrickfergus which you can go around. If you drive the Causeway Coastal Road from Belfast to the north coast, it would be your first stop! Or, of course you could do it in reverse.

discovernorthernireland.com/Carrickfergus-Ca…

Dunluce Castle on the North coast has an amazing history and superb views but unfortunately is mostly ruins although still well worth a walk around.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

its a comfortable 45min drive from portrush to magherafelt, Portrush is not particulary busy mid may you will have just missed the NW200 bike race and all the traffic on sunday 16th will be heading away from port area, although the coast road may be busy but as said traffic will be heading opposite way. mon tue evenings you will have the beaches pretty much to yourself, and they are great for walking on particularly East strand AKA curran strand/white rocks side, the locals will be recovering from the weekend fall out that is the NW200, make sure you eat in the harbour complex in portrush when your in town,

shazza

7. Re: three days in N.I. and no clue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Northern Ireland