We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

it will be myself, husband and our 7 year old daughter. We want to combine Northern Ireland and Scotland. Any suggestions of sights to see, places to stay, etc - thanks

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
737 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Derry!

Check the website derryvisitor.com to find out why and what to do.

You could also add on a trip to Donegal which has some unspoilt beaches and beautiful scenery and it's just across the border from Derry.

belfast
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

What about Causeway Coast and Antrim Glens? Why not drive the Causeway Coastal Route - a coastal road trip from Belfast to Londonderry and take in the Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede Rope bridge, take a boat trip to Rathlin Island, visit Dunluce Castle or Carrickfergus Castle and walk the many beaches. Check out www.causewaycoastandglens.com for more things to see and do.

North Coast
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

I dont really think Derry is a must see. The main coast, castlerock, Portrush/Portstewart, Causeway Coast is the area to see. I live on the coast and I have been to Derry 3 times in my life as there is so little in it.

You can go wrong with the coast and glens. My uncle had a friend from NY visit here and she loves the coastal area.

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
737 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Couldn't ignore this comment:

".....I live on the coast and I have been to Derry 3 times in my life as there is so little in it..."

Perhaps you didn't look hard enough - evidently the judging panel for the 2013 UK City of Culture can see what Derry has to offer.

Maybe culture isn't your thing but don't be so presumptuous regarding others' likes/dislikes.

I

Edited: 29 July 2010, 19:37
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

I think Drew means you CAN'T go wrong with coast & glens.

Dear Derry. I think I know where both of you are coming from, it might not top my list for a young family on a quick visit but specify the attractions that prove me wrong...

The Ulster Museum at Cultra would and if you check out the National Trust there are some fine houses which are all worth a visit. Hold them at least as back-up against filthy weather.

I'd say if you're looking at Scotland too Donegal is OTT how much coast can one take!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Rathlin is worth considering at that time of year as you are in puffin season and also there are normally seals at the bay which your daughter might enjoy watching?.

The north coast has lots of beaches as well as beautiful scenery. Post on the forum nearer the time you are heading and we can give you links to any weekend events which might be of interest especially to your daughter e.g. medieval day at Downhill was in early June this year and is popular with kids:

coastlinecastlerock.org/pdfs/MedievalFlyer.p…

As it's before the main school holidays, events for kids might be at weekend but popular attractions are child friendly with many also having an educational slant.

Depending on how much time you have the likes of the Ulster American Folk Park at Omagh (could be combined with Derry) is very good.The Causeway Coastal drive is a must as previous posters have said.

You haven't given us a lot of information to go on re your interests or how long you want to stay but hopefully these suggestions help a little.

Oh - and your daughter should love Maud's Poor Bear ice-cream which is available in most towns. Portstewart is good for ice-cream in general with several shops.

Have a look at the discover northern ireland website for ideas and we can help you further if need be.

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
737 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

- Riverwatch Aquarium

- Tower Museum

- Workhouse Museum

- Foyle Valley Railway Museum

- Opentop Bus Tour

- Train journey between Derry and Coleraine/Portrush

I know many families who have enjoyed the above whilst visiting Derry and I haven't included the City Walls, Murals and the 2 Cathedrals in the above list even though families also enjoy these attractions.

Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Shells, I stand corrected.

And yeah, Mauds! Good reason to come!

Why no edible icecream south of the border?

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Is the Mauds in Portstewart still open, I thought it had either closed down or changed hands, but yes, as the former owner of a mauds ice cream shop, i can definitely vouch for the ice cream, poor bear was formerly pooh bear, but disney, believe it or not, were not happy that they took the name, hence the change to poor.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just starting to plan a trip for June 2011

Ah bgekk - how did you do that? I'd have eaten all the profits!!!

I will be in Portstewart this week so will doublecheck - it was open last time I was "down the prom" as we say!!. Thankfully there are Mauds all over NI :)

Killywilly - There is definitely Mauds in Donegal - I was in one recently in Moville I think. Not sure of where else although I did go to a shop selling it in the south west - Kenmare once but it had sold out of Pooh Bear. That was a few years ago though....