We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Topic
Where to atay on Antrim Coast

We want to stay between 2 and 4 nights on the Antrim Coast in August 2011.

The Bayview Hotel in Portballintrae, The Adelphi in Portrush and

The York in Portstewart all look good on TA. We want great accommodation in a good location, a seaview would be a bonus, walking distance to restaurants and pubs a must. Prices are similar at these hotels but the Bayview looks like it has a good restaurant and pretty location. I suppose that there are plenty of dining out options in Portsuch and Portstewart, so hotel dining not a priority in these towns. I would appreciate advice on these Hotels or other suggestions of where to stay. We are not golfers so not interested in the Radisson Blu in Limavady.

Also how many nights would you recommend staying in this area.

After Antrim Coast we have 7 nights in Galway region.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Hi Again,

We are planning to spend a bit of time in Derry on our way down to our overnight stop in Enniskillen. One option was to stay in Derry, but its too close to the rest of the North Coast, and we need to be in Galway the next day.

I have put all your walking info into our Itinerary, so thanks for that. I have organised dinner for 1 night at the Bayview in Portballingtrae, and we will probably eat in Portstewart before or after the sunset walk the next night.

Thanks again for all your help.

Josie

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,913 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

I think you will be disappointed if you treat Ireland like Australia. Of course you could drive the length of Ireland in a day, but what would be the point of that?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

The one thing I think Australians (and other visitors) comment on over here is the number of slow-moving traffic on our roads - tractors, trailers etc. I think the overnight stop in Enniskillen on the way to Galway makes sense. Derry is a compact city and so you can get a good feel for it, walk the city walls, go to the Tower Museum easily in a few hours before continuing to Enniskillen. It would break up that day nicely.

I love the Enniskillen area - if you get a chance to squeeze in the likes of Devenish Island into your itinerary it is worth it.

discovernorthernireland.com/Devenish-Island-…

fermanaghlakelands.com/P6959-MV-Kestrel-Enni…

Edited: 22 February 2011, 20:56
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Hi Ponaire,

Once again thanks for all your really useful information.

We were aware that driving in Ireland takes a long time due to the narrow roads and also tourist bus traffic - didn't think about tractors!! We stayed in Corsica years ago and only progressed 45 miles in one day, so we are prepared for slow travelling - thats why we are spending 4 weeks in the north and south.

We went to Scotland and out to the Hebrides 3 years ago, discovered single lane "roads" and cursed the sheep!! Our Aussie sheep are much better behaved ( kept behind fences!!!).

Will definitely try to get to the lakes and the Island - will look it up as soon as I finish this note.

Thanks again

Josie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Drumlough,

Why would I treat Ireland like Australia?

Its people like me who travel widely that keep places like Ireland solvent in tough times.

I'm not sure if you are intentionally rude or its just your turn of phrase, but your comments make my blood boil.

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

We stay here quite often for short breaks to the North coast, (Ballylinny Cottages) the accommodation is lovely, very well maintained and not too expensive, have a look at the link I have pasted, you can actually walk into Portballintrae along the path by mini railway.

www.giantscauseway.co.uk

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Hi Bgekk,

Thanks for your post, but too late I'm sorry - already booked Bayview Hotel in Portballingtrae - maybe next time??

Madame J

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Hey Josie, you can still have a nice walk to the Giants Causeway from where you are staying, there is a coastal path the whole way up, just along side the mini railway, and you can even get the little train if you like, we have been on it and it's great, a proper steam train, but whatever you do, have a great time, and don't forget to report back on your adventures.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Josie

I meant to say that if you although Portrush has very good eating options, expect to queue. You can book 55 degrees north but not at the Ramore (unless you are eating in their oriental restaurant). The Ramore is arguable the most popular restaurant in NI and especially at weekends in the summer stops even accepting people fairly early on (I've been turned away before 8!). Food is great but expect to queue for at least an hour so go before you are hungry!!!

http://ramorerestaurant.com/

http://55-north.com/

One final piece of advice - I would cover the Causeway Coastal route section to Downhill including Mussenden Temple whilst staying on the coast NOT on your way to Derry although this would be the scenic route to Derry. This leaves you free to take the direct route via Coleraine and avoid unnecessary travelling on your way to Enniskillen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Where to atay on Antrim Coast

Dear Bgekk,

Thanks for that - . we love to walk, so will look out for the track.

I didn't realise you can walk all the way along, so that will be great after an Irish breakfast!!

Josie

Get answers to your questions about Northern Ireland