We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

Ottawa, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

Hello!

We are travelling to Ireland (and Scotland) in September this year. I would really appreciate some feedback on our itinerary. We will be in Ireland a total of 11 days (arriving in Dublin and leaving by ferry in Belfast). We are spending the first five days with family who is meeting us there so our itinerary is not flexible on those days.

Day 1 - Arrive Dublin, 10am

Day 2 - Dublin

Day 3 - Valentia Island, County Kerry

Day 4 - Valentia Island, County Kerry

Day 5 - Valentia Island, County Kerry

Day 6 - Clifden, County Galway

Day 7 - Clifden, County Galway

Day 8 - Clifden, County Galway

Day 9 - Slieve league area, County Donegal

Day 10 - Portrush area, Northern Ireland

Day 11 - Belfast, Northern Ireland

Leave Belfast morning of Day 12

It all seems ok to me up until Day 8. I'm worried I'm trying to cover too much of Northern Ireland too fast. Should I cut a night in Clifden and move onto the North on Day 8?

Priorities for that part of the trip are: Slieve League (must), Dunlunce (must), Causeway (would like), Bushmills distillery (would like), carrick e bridge (would like), Belfast black taxi tour (must).

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

From the cliffs to Portrush would probably take about 3 hours - aa route planner allows 2 hrs 35 minutes from Killybegs (the nearest town) to Portrush. The general recommendation is that you add up to 15% to get a real time so 3 hours is realistic.

So you need to bear that in mind. It is a long drive. It depends a little on where you are overnighting each night. For instance if you end day 8 by driving to Donegal and overnighting there. Then spend day 9 exploring south Donegal but ending in Portrush (or even Derry area), then it would include a lot of driving but yes, could be done. Allow a full day doing the Causeway Coastal area but that will let you end the day in Belfast.

Personally, I would say yes, take a night off clifden - or make sure you end up each day ready to explore an area rather than start the day driving to a new area for that section. Hope that makes sense and helps!

Edited: 06 July 2011, 07:03
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

It's going to take most of Day 11 to drive to Belfast via the coast road to spend time enjoying the attractions en route, so it will be at least late afternoon or probably the evening before you arrive in Belfast, so that won't give you much time in the city if you are leaving in the morning.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

I am curious as to why you have allocated as much time to a small Island off the Ring of Kerry as you have to cover the whole route from Clifden to Belfast,(possibly family ties)?

I am a big fan of Connamara and Clifden is a great town but I would take one night from there and add this to the later stages. I would also take a night from Valentia and make use of it between there and Clifden.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

I think the OP is tied into doing things with family for the first 5 days so I guess the family either live in or have booked to stay in Valentia island and so that part is non-negotiable.

5. Re: Itinerary help with particular attention to Northern Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 07:15