We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland with little one

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Ireland with little one

We are a young couple (31 & 33yrs old) with a baby and we'd like to visit Ireland preferably during summer when the little one would be 1yr old. Which period/month would you suggest - considering also events happening?

Is there an itenerary one would suggest to us? We're planning a week, we'll fly to and from Belfast and will be hiring a car. Should we base ourselves in Belfast and do day-trips or move from one hotel to another? We'd prefer the first option but would we be able to visit places like Dublin in just a day trip?

As you can see we haven't planned anything yet but this time it looks more difficult to plan everything with the little one!!!! And I don't know from where to begin.....we'd like to see it all but we know it's not possible that's why I'm turning to you for suggestions of the best highlights we should visit.

Any suggestions are welcome :) thanks :)

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland with little one

With your child i would stay at one hotel in Belfast and hire a car and make day trips,The Causeway and Antrim coast, Newcastle and the Mournes, Dublin via the Cooley mountains, Derry/ Londonderry, And of course spend a few days in Belfast, A few big events for this year include The World police and Fire games, Derry is City of Culture and will also host the all Ireland fleadh, You may need to book your hotel soon as rooms rates are on the rise for the summer, i only know 2 hotels with free parking The Tara lodge and Days hotel.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland with little one

I think Portstewart is a good base for a few days as well as Belfast and possibly Derry. It has some good playparks e.g. at the Crescent in Portstewart there are some small swings and slides etc which include some suitable for very young children:

http://www.colerainebc.gov.uk/show.php?id=139

You can also buy a bucket and spade and fishing rod for literally a couple of pounds and go rockpooling along the Port Path (aka Nun's Walk/Cliff Path)

Also lots of ice-cream shops - my favourite is Mauds Poor bear but Morelli's is a local institution and has won awards.

A good and cheap wet morning activity for an hour or so is an indoor safe play area at Cheeky Chimps in an industrial estate just off the ring road in Coleraine

dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/family-fun/…5253

Lots of lovely beaches in the area although they can be chilly enough with the north wind!

It's near the Causeway, Carrick-a-rede, Dunluce castle etc so you can get a mix of kiddie activities and adult ones and hopefully keep everyone happy:)

There are also a couple of fun farms e.g. Finvoy Fun Farm and Leslie Hill at nearby Ballymoney which may be of interest.

A couple of useful sites:

http://www.ni4kids.com/

http://www.northcoastni.com/activities/

http://www.colerainebc.gov.uk/show.php?id=166

Difficult to say when is best. If your child was a bit older, I would say summer when there are a lot of activities aimed at school kids but with a very young child you might actually prefer it when it is quieter so June might work in that respect? Portstewart has a festival Red Sails usually the last week in July with quite a lot of family activities on.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland with little one

I meant to say that whilst I think the coast is good for kids, there is nothing to stop you staying in Belfast and doing day trips. It is perfectly possible and does avoid the hassle of packing/unpacking.

The only thing I would maybe advise against is taking a car to Dublin. Much easier to get the train (or bus but train is more comfortable) down. Ideally you should stay overnight in Dublin as there is a lot to see but if you are on limited time, get the first train down and last home and you will still manage to see some of the city.

Belfast
Level Contributor
101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland with little one

I would suggest staying at a couple of Hotels / B&Bs around Portrush as well as Belfast as a lot of attractions are quite a distance away from Belfast.

I would image places that are handy for Buggys would be good.

Belfast

Bus Tour

Ulster Museum

Titanic Centre

City Hall

Belfast Zoo (views form here are stunning on a good day)

Derry

North Coast

ballintoy harbour (beautiful white beach with very shallow still water)

white park bay (not very buggy friendly water can be rough, but very pretty)

Ulster Folk & Transport Museum Cultra

Newcastle

Silent Valley

5. Re: Ireland with little one

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Northern Ireland