We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Railway line to Derry re-opening.

For anyone needing to know when the railway line reopens to Londonderry the official date has been announced as 24th March 2013.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Just in time for Easter:)

Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Eggs-celent! :-)

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Horizon, where is the starting point for the line, Dublin or Belfast?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Belfast. But the stretch which was closed was Coleraine to Derry which includes the most scenic section of the route and which has featured on a Michael Palin great train journeys tv programme last year.

Edit: oops I'm not horizon but I'm sure he'll forgive me for butting in ;) !!!

Edited: 19 February 2013, 20:55
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

:-) Thanks as always Ponaire!

Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Youre forgiven Ponaire lol. Yes, it seems our railway has finally recovered from decades of underfunding and the dark days of regular break downs, and cold and dirty carriages. Weve had two waves of new trains now, and a third is in the pipeline for the future. Huge improvements have been made to many stations, in fact a total rebuilding of some too. All trains have free WIFI now, and passenger numbers and satisfaction seems to be up. Given the rising costs of fuel, parking, and environmental concerns it seems that a mode of transport which fell into decline (in favour of the car) will be making a comeback. Compared to the mainland our fares are much cheaper for the same distances travelled. There are tickets which let you journey all day across the network for just a few pounds. Talk has been going on for some time now about extending the lines into places like Donegal and an hourly service between Belfast and Dublin looks quite close to fruition. There are open public meetings taking place next week concerning the next 20yrs of ideas and planning for the railway: northernireland.gov.uk/news-drd-future-railw… which i hope brings some exciting news. Ive worked for NI Railways myself for 25yrs now and Ive seen some great changes which hopefully develops further. A big light at the end of the tunnel :-)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Horizon! You dark horse:) Guess that explains why you're online at 3am!!! The big question is can you get translink to make that website more user-friendly (especially that journey planner!!) - lol...

I have to agree that you could not compare the trains now to 20, even 10 years ago. They are now very good. The downside is that more and more people are using them but I know on the Belfast-Coleraine line, it is very hard to get a seat at peak times. We used to watch enviously as the trains to Bangor (much shorter distance) always had more carriages than ours :( Hopefully the issue of seat shortage is being resolved..

That is excellent news about a more frequent service between Belfast and Dublin:) There does seem to be a good demand and the Enterprise is an excellent service:)

Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Lol. Unfortunately im not in the clerical end of things or indeed something needs said about their website. A lot changed when Ulsterbus and NIR merged (at least in name anyway) under the Translink banner. Personally i still consider myself an NIR employee and have never liked the Translink idea. But if its better for public transport as a whole in NI then fine i suppose. We did have a lot of management to begin with who knew nothing about railway operations, by now this has gotten much better. As for overcrowding on trains, yes it happens. Whats its down to is questionable. On the one hand it could be a rise generally in people using them, but this really should be dealt with by learning from previous days and weeks on a given service and allocating an extra 3 cars there (creating a 6 car train). Im not sure the excuse is they dont have those extra coaches either because during the golf at Portrush last year they ran several 6 car sets up there. Planning is everything and of course some things can be foreseen. We still get broken windows and the need for everyday repairs to trains which may then result in a train being shortened. This doesnt just happen on the branch line but also on the Portadown to Belfast section where ive recently seen people packed in like sardines. Hopefully these things will be dealt with as time progresses though. Im not just saying it because my bread is buttered there, but there have been great improvements as you say, in the last (even) 5yrs. Long may it continue.

Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
866 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Ps. And yes, those early posts are indeed early shifts for work lol.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
838 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Railway line to Derry re-opening.

Horizon, I wouldn't be *entirely* convinced that we've moved away from the dark days of regular breakdowns. The C4Ks seem to be a tad unreliable, and the Enterprise is knackered. :-)