We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

I am planning a much anticipated trip to Northern Ireland in June with my 2 sisters and would like some ideas of things that are a 'must see'. In Belfast first couple of days - things to do there? Best pub in Belfast? Then driving up the East coast to Giants Causeway, rope bridge - best B&B in that area? Have a couple more days to explore the region - any other tips/suggestions/places to stay? Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

Try to go the coast road (via larne) up to the North coast if you can. As for best bar it depends what youre after. Most want to visit The Crown Bar on Great Victoria St. You could stay in Portrush which is handy for the Causeway and rope bridge. You may want a B&B of which the Adelphi http://www.adelphiportrush.com/ is great on Main St Portrush. But a few doors down the Ramada is a decent hotel too. These are the No1 & 2 in the town.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 19:47
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,883 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

Hi folks,

I assume you are visiting The Titanic exhibition. You can do it in 2 hours but we took more than 4 hours including lunch. It was great!!

You could plan a tour round Strangford Lough which lies to the south of Belfast.

There is a tour organised by Banbridge Council Tourist office in Co. Down called "The Irish Linen Tour" It visits a famous linen factory and a flax scutching museum and mill. The mill was really fascinating and we were shown round by two fellows in their 70s or 80s whose parents owned the mill. The linen factory has a shop but beware Irish Linen is expensive! (Google "Irish linen tour banbridge" for more details)

Enjoy your trip

Bob

Derry
Destination Expert
for Derry
Level Contributor
748 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

You really should include a visit to Derry/Londonderry on any trip to NI, especially this year as Derry is the inaugural UK City of Culture, so there's even more of a buzz around the city than usual.

Lonely Planet named the city as one of the Top Ten Cities in the World to Visit in 2013.

Check out:

http://www.cityofculture2013.com

www.derryvisitor.com

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

As horizon has said go to the causeway via Larne and do pop into The Crown for a drink, If you wanted pub food for lunch go to Whites Tarvern Belfast's oldest bar, and for a bit of Trad music at night call into Maddens.

Should you wish to break your Causeway tour and explore the Glens of Antrim i can highly reccommend a B&B in Cushendall , The Meadows

Edited: 07 March 2013, 08:26
Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

I love visiting the Ulster Museum when I travel to Belfast as there is always an exhibition on there and it's FREE! http://www.nmni.com/um/What-s-on

Also, the new arts centre the MAC is worth a visit http://themaclive.com/

Their restaurant 'Canteen' is a nice venue for coffee and a pastry or lunch. themaclive.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Ca…

For an Indian meal I would recommend Gingeroot on Great Victoria Street I have been there a few times in the last couple of years - in fact, here are two reviews I posted tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186470-d8…

Ireland
Level Contributor
866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

Indeed! Once you get the taste for Indian food Chinese just doesnt compare. Dopiaza, Jalfrezzi, Patia, even Vindaloo if its well made, you cant beat it. Yum! :-P

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
496 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

I will only eat Chinese when in China - and I haven't been there yet!

Thai food, now that is a whole different ball game...delicious :)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

We stay at Links View B&B in Portrush every year. Much better than any of the hotels in the area. Driving from Portrush area to Derry go on the coast road and call at Mussenden Temple for one of the best views on the coast.

UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

Agree that a trip to derry/londonderry would be worthwhile.....you don't say how long your trip is? if you had time you could travel over the border into donegal from derry....

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Ireland Itinerary - Best Places to Visit

I'm actually shocked that no one here mentions the rich Celtic spiritual history and traditions of all Ireland, including Northern Ireland. There are not only beautiful sights, but wonderful people to connect with in places like Armagh, Downpatrick, and Omagh. And, there are places and people that have done a monumental work of service and grace in the reconciliation efforts . . . which of course makes it easier and safer for the rest of us to travel and enjoy Northern Ireland.