We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling during the G8 Summit

Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling during the G8 Summit

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for our visit to Belfast on the 14th and 15th, with concerns, to security, sites and other concerns anyone might think of.

Thank you!

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

To be honest, it's still a bit of an unknown but you will almost certainly face some level of disruption. I had originally planned to go to Belfast that Saturday with friends but we rescheduled. But obviously Belfast residents will have to go out and about as normal so the city won't grind to a halt! I'm not sure if HOHO bus routes might change but I do think most things will be kept as normal as possible.

There is an anti-hunger protest rally planned for Botanic Gardens on Saturday 15th and nearby Queen's university has announced that it is closing that weekend.

belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/g8-summit/10000-…

The Council is also warning of likely disruption around the City Hall which obviously is very central and a key tourist site. The link below suggests from past experience in other countries, protests tend to be based around government buildings:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22311441

Enjoy your stay - hopefully BobbyW will chip in as he works in the industry so is likely to have his ear to the ground:)

Edited: 06 June 2013, 07:44
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

Just realised that sounds a bit negative - definitely don't mean it to be but I think you need to be realistic and expect to see some protests. I imagine they're more likely to be on the Saturday but to be honest, it is all a bit of an unknown. The actual conference is miles away in Enniskillen so it's hard to know to what extent different areas may be subject to protests.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

You should be fine on the 14th its the 15th is the real unknown, I cant see it causing to much trouble except traffic disruption, The police here are well used to protest marches but that said it might be a good day to take a day tour to the Causeway or Kingdom of Mournes

Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

Thank you so much for the information. We do have tickets to see the Titanic Museum on Saturday the 15th and were planning to take the train to Belfast from up North a bit. Do you foresee an issues with that plan.

Once again...thank you so much for the information.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

You should be fine with the train to Central and a taxi to titanic, should there be any disruption the driver will know how avoid it.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

If its anything like the G20 in Toronto life will be pretty rough in Enniskillen. Best to hole up in a pub somewhere. The rest of the country should be OK I'd think.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

"If its anything like the G20 in Toronto life will be pretty rough in Enniskillen."

It's hard to say if protests will be focused on Enniskillen or Belfast. I fancy Belfast will have more disruption as Enniskillen might be hard to get too and Belfast has better "brand awareness" around the world, bearing in mind the aims of the international protester.

Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

Once again, thank you to all for your thoughts! We are very excited to be Ireland next week!

9. Re: Traveling during the G8 Summit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17