We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Just been announced so a warning for anyone pre booked at Karl

Environment Minister Alex Attwood has said there should not be a car park "free-for-all" near Northern Ireland's airports.

The Department of the Environment is challenging the legality of some sites around Belfast International Airport.

Last week, Karl Airport Parking, was ordered to cease trading at its site, by the Planning Appeals Commission.

Mr Attwood also said airports needed to address their own car parking charges.

He said: "I agree that the international airport and the City airport have to do more in making sure their car parking tariffs are fair and reasonable, but what about the people who live up near the airport?"

He said that "if you end up with a free-for-all with a car park in every field, left, right and centre of the international airport" it would also have an impact on the services that the airport would be able to offer.

Karl Airport Parking made a retrospective planning application to operate the park and ride facility in 2007. This was rejected.

An enforcement notice was issued against the company last year by the planning authorities for "unauthorised use of land for car parking for users of Belfast International Airport".

This enforcement notice was appealed by the car park owners.

It has invested in a floodlit parking area with perimeter fencing that is covered by CCTV for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The Planning Appeals Commission heard seven points of appeal last week but they were all rejected and the enforcement notice was upheld.

The facility must now close by 30 June.

26 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Useful info. I parked once in one of these fields and really didn't think it worth the small saving as we'd quite a bit of waiting around, moving cars etc but hope this doesn't mean increased fees at the other carparks

Edited: 19 June 2013, 22:22
Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Used Karl Airport Parking numerous times over the past few years.

They were very professional & we never had any problems with them. They were a lot cheaper than the on-site airport parking companies. Shame.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Very sad day for travellers from bfs airport a great place to park at the correct price that should be charged for airport parking .

If they close all of these parking places around bfs airport they will not be enough space for travellers

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

"I parked once in one of these fields "

KARL is not a field. It is a pretty well run facility.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Ah Drumlough - couldn't remember the name of where we stayed but it was a few years ago when there were quite a few new makeshift carpark facilities rising up. Apologies for the confusion.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

So is this place open or closed now because you can still book on their website?

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

Karl parking seem to still be open while it is appealing the decision to close even after it lost its first appeal

And was told to close on 30june.

I personally can not see what the problem is as it is of the main road in an industrial estate and very few houses about it and isn.t a traffic hazard.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 21:19
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

It certainly isn't causing any problem. And given that their minibuses are normally replacing several cars going to and fro the airport, they are actually reducing traffic.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

I saw the karl minibus on sunday so it looks like it's still operating.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)

It would be a real shame if Karl was forced to close. It has been our (my family, my parents and many other people we know) first choice in parking for years now (going back to when it was on the same site and called 'Red Cent'). It has always struck me as a professional and well run service and not at all the 'cowboys' that they have been made out to be by the minister. I'm sure there have been companies that have set up in little more than fields, but this is not one of them. It is odd that the most competitively priced parking facility has been branded a 'field' even though it is in the middle of a small industrial estate.

A good point has already been made that in fact it has taken multiple cars off the road in the vicinity of the airport, how is that impacting on local residents, apart from in a positive way?

The charges for parking on-site at BFS have been ridiculous (often not far off double) compared to the satellite competition, if there is that big of a discrepancy in pricing with competition, what will they be charging in a few years, when their own pricing strategy is no longer in the spotlight and the competition has been decimated?

I can’t help feel what has happened here behind the scenes is that BFS has put pressure on the minister to remove competition that was making a mockery out of their money grabbing and rip off pricing!

Reply to: Airport Parking Warning(Karl Parking)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted