We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giants Causeway

southend on sea
6 posts
Save Topic
Giants Causeway

Giants Causeway

Would like to take a short break to Giants Causeway area, hoping to visit Bushmills distillery, Dunluce, Causeway, & rope bridge in particular. I'm lady travelling alone and I don't drive, & was thinking of spending 1 night in Belfast before getting the scenic bus route bus up to Bushmills area. Can anyone recommend a B & B (and I'm on limited budget, say up to £40/night for B & B) that's close to the Giants Causeway keeping in mind I need to feel safe when walking in the evening/ near enough to places to eat, a few shops nearby, and near enough bus route etc. for arrival/departure. I know there are some 'out of the way' B & B's but as I don't drive I need to be a bit careful. Any advice welcomed please. (Thinking of going early September)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giants Causeway

Look for cheap deals on the premier inns in Belfast. Belfast is well worth some of your time. The hoho bus tours are very good value and there are some very good free options e.g. free city hall guided tour at set times if you're trying to keep costs down.

I think Portrush might be the best option for your stay. It's on the coast, has lots of restaurants, pubs, a few shops (some tacky, others e.g. the White house have clothes, homeware etc) and is good for nice evening walks along the beach if you get the weather. The Causeway part itself might be a bit quiet in the evening so I think you might prefer a town. Whilst I personally prefer the quieter Portstewart, I think Portrush is better in terms of transportation for someone without a car.

Portrush is served by the Causeway Rambler which will get you round to the key sites you mention. I see Tony2phones has mentioned his favourite B&B but this one seems to get very good reviews on tripadvisor (have a read to see what you think) and the website is working so it gives you something to look at it and is just about on budget for you:

http://www.harbourheightsportrush.com/

Other useful links:

http://www.northcoastni.com/

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giants Causeway

Also note if you're on a budget that you don't have to pay to see the stones at the Giant's Causeway. There are loads of reviews on this on TA which state this but unfortunately nobody seems to read these.. If you are a national trust member, you will have free access. Otherwise unless you want to shop in the visitor's centre or get a guided tour/audio guide, you don't need to pay. Simply walk down avoiding the centre..

southend on sea
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Giants Causeway

Thank you for information, I think Portrush sounds like a good idea and I'll look into staying there..

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giants Causeway

Do you have to pay for parking only though if you're going to skip the audioguide and visitor centre ?

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giants Causeway

Yes you have to pay. you could always park at the Nook pub next door and walk in.

Malta
Level Contributor
341 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giants Causeway

Thanks for your advice.

7. Re: Giants Causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 06:19