We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

From 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM, we followed a guided audio tour of Derry, including walking the walls, and stops at St. Augustine's Church, Apprentice Boys Memorial (closed though the sign said open), St Columb's Cathedral, Guild Hall, Tower Museum, Bogside Murals, Free Derry Museum. For us, it was a wonderful compromise between doing things completely on our own and taking a tour. We had the flexibility to stop when we wanted for however lone we wanted and the richness of commentary.

Had a very good lunch at Molly's in the Craft Village. Cute place, totally delightful staff, good food.

Drove to Portrush and checked into our lovely apartment at Ashlea Cottages. The owners are lovely, the place is nicely done (not particularly fancy), it's spacious, on the 1st floor with no one above us, excellent Wi-Fi. A big improvement over the past 2 nights in Derry!

Drove into town and had dinner at the Harbor wine Bar. Wanted to go to the Bistro, but the wait was almost 90 minutes and no food in worth waiting that long for--to us. Took a walk while we were waiting for 35 minutes for our table. The joint was jumping! You have to order at the bar, which is not as relaxing as we'd like, and the food is more a la carte than at many places we've been--no bowls of fresh veggies accompany the meals. DH's dinner was good (although nothing came with his beef chili pita, mine not so much--overcooked and completely unseasoned chicken kabobs. Oh, well--not every night can be a winner.

Portrush is jammed with people.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

Hi Andee!

Sounds like you'd a good day. It's a bank holiday here and also the Lammas Fair is on in nearby Ballycastle so yes, it's a busy day up here.

The wine bar/bistro is an institution here. I love it and love the atmosphere but it isn't for everyone and probably is a bit crazy on a bank holiday. It isn't relaxing - more buzzing and lively. You do have to order separate sides with many of the dishes unless it says otherwise so it isn't the cheapest. I tend to stick to my favourite dishes and have never really been disappointed but I did see an example of poor service last week and many locals do feel the whole place goes downhill a bit in the summer when staff struggle to cope with the number of patrons. For somewhere more relaxing, Jackman & Pye is worth considering and you can prebook - it's very good especially for fish eaters.

If you like (or want to try) traditional fish and chips, Morton's in Ballycastle (takeaway) is highly recommended but it's cooked fresh to order.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 21:16
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

Thanks ponaire, I will look at the Jackman & Pye website for menus. I have a dual challenge in that I am on Weight Watchers so like that kind of meal, and I don't like to spend a lot on meals other than for special occasions. At home, we usually eat at neighborhood ethnic places that are nice, but reasonable--less than 12 pounds per person for food..

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

So you managed to stay away from the excellent desserts in the wine bar then?!! I had the berry cheesecake last week (shared as I had a main and two sides as I am greedy!) and it was lovely.

55 degrees north does a teatime special in Portrush - you can get 3 courses for £10-£12 but you'd probably need to prebook. To be honest, I haven't been recently and recent reviews have been mixed.

It's the last few days of school holidays here so I expect everywhere will be busy. Shenanigans in Portstewart or the Bayview Hotel in Portballintrae might be worth looking at. I've heard good things recently - hope to go to Shenanigans soon actually.

Hope weather holds for you guys tomorrow.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

Thanks!

I'm struggling so with my weight (lost 80 pounds 3-4 years ago, but have gained almost 10 this year--which is scary to me) that dessert consists of fresh fruit in the apartment. :(

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

Wow - well done! Avoid those meal deals then. We tend to have big portions up here too which doesn't help:(

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

In so many restaurants, a bowl of fresh steamed veggies come with the meal--I think that's wonderful!

7. Re: Day 28 of 34: Derry to Portrush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 06:20