We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

Drove the lovely Coastal Road all the way.

Took the Torr Head detour and hiked to the top--fabulous views!

Walked around Cushendun a bit.

Stopped in Cushendall for a photo op at the Curfew Tower.

Hiked in the Glenariff Forest Park--the waterfall trail was closed :(, so we walked 17 minutes down to Horseshoe Waterfall and 24 minutes up. There's a Lodge at the bottom--if we'd known that, we'd only walked about 100'--but I need the exercise, so it's all good. Had a picnic lunch.

Visited the gorgeous Walled Garden in Glenarm--stunning!

On to Carrickfergus Castle--now that's a castle and a half!

Drove to Belfast to check into our beautiful apartment at College Central.

Walked to dinner at Olio--very good. A lovely place, absolutely delightful staff, good food.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Clare Glen Woodland
Forests, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls, Bodies of Water
Crumlin Glen
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

Andee - you'd a pretty clear day for the coast - I even had my sunglasses on at lunchtime and when driving home from work today as it was quite bright!

I love the Torr Head scenic route. Great views on a clear day.

Did you do Ballintoy Harbour or Dark Hedges? They're becoming popular due to Games of Thrones..

Glenarm Walled Garden is lovely - and Carrickfergus castle is pretty majestic - I do always do a double take at the figures/statues perced on the ramparts though!!

Edited: 28 August 2013, 21:31
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

Disappointing to hear that the waterfall walk is still closed - but not surprised as it wasn't showing any signs of being fixed when I was there in June:( It's been closed since very heavy snowfall in March.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,976 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

I don't know anything about the Book of Thrones. We drove all along the coast, but only made the stops I listed.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

Sounds like a good day - and you covered a lot of ground. Loved that you took the time to get out of the car to enjoy the scenery and do some decent photostops:) Hope you enjoy Belfast - it's become a much more vibrant city in recent years which I love.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
5. Re: Day 30 of 34: Portrush to Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:22