We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

Ohio
Level Contributor
346 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

We will be taking the train from Dublin to Belfast but staying in Holywood.

What is the best way to get train tickets for this journey?

Can I book directly to Holywood from Dublin or do I do two separate tickets?

Do I need reserve seats on these trains?

Thanks for the help.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

You will have to change trains in Belfast Central, I would guess you can get a ticket of the conductor on the Hollywood leg,

Horizon, our resident NIR train driver will confirm the details.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

The ticket from Dublin is valid to Titanic Quarter. The train to Holywood is a commuter train. Change at Belfast Central and then buy a ticket from the conductor on board from Titanic Quarter to Holywood. Single fare is £2.60 - a saving of 20p!!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

Horizon, would I be correct in thinking that the train staff on the Enterprise actually have ticket machines (or Wayfarers or whatever they're called), but I'm guessing that they might only be allowed to sell tickets for Enterprise journeys, especially if it's an Irish Rail-operated train?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

You need to buy the Enterprise ticket before boarding the train, preferably in advance at www.irishrail.ie where it can well be much cheaper than buying on the day. Buy the ticket between Titanic Quarter and Holywood on the train from Belfast Central towards Bangor.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

That's not what I meant - I was checking if the staff on the Enterprise could sell the onward ticket as well - I could be wrong, but I think there's no technical reason why they couldn't, but there might be a procedural reason why they couldn't.

And yes, I know you have to buy the Enterprise ticket in advance. :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

Did you hear about the chap from Ballinderry who wanted to buy a ticket to Hong Kong?

Ohio
Level Contributor
346 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

Are all trains between Dublin and Belfast the enterprise? If not how do I tell which is which when purchasing online?

Thanks for all the help from tripadvisor readers.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

"Are all trains between Dublin and Belfast the enterprise?"

Yes

Ohio
Level Contributor
346 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

Thank you.

10. Re: Train travel from Belfast to Holywood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 05:19