We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
easthampton, new...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

We're visiting Northern Ireland in September. I've noticed some hotels post prices in Euros some in Pounds. Are both accepted?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,093 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

They'll accept them but at what rate?

easthampton, new...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

So are we better off just using Pounds?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,093 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

Don't know - I would presume they dual rate because of folk from the Republic a few miles to the south.

Personally I'd be using a CC to pay for hotels - and only in GBP so as to avoid the joys of Dynamic Currency Conversion

easthampton, new...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Dynamic Currency Conversion! Sounds scary. The CC makes sense, thanks for the help

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

It would be cheaper for you to stick to pounds as the hotel will charge commission for using Euro if you need to know anything else about Belfast let me know and I'll try and help.

Thanks Roger

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Hi kayakereh

Use cc for larger transactions and withdraw some sterling from an ATM for those smaller purchases.

Enjoy your visit.

BTW

I see you are from Easthampton, lovely town stayed close by at Amagansett a few years ago.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency

Rule of thumb; when in the UK carry pounds. It avoids confusion and dodgy conversion rates.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency

Dynamic Currency Conversion is a bit of a legal scam employed by hotels where say a UK hotel charges you in Euros and makes a killing on the exchange rate.

I was staying at a hotel in Bristol in south west England last year and they tried it on there. When in the UK, pay in GBP only.

easthampton, new...
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency

thank you all for taking yhe time to help us. we really appreciate it.

10. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:15