We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat and train Belfast to London

Belfast, NI
Level Contributor
417 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Boat and train Belfast to London

As an experiment in carbon neutral travel, I'm thinking of travelling by boat and train from Belfast to London. Has anyone tried it? Any advice or tips? Or is it just too awful to think about?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

I wouldn't fancy it, it will be a long journey but you can book a rail and sail through Stenaline at 08705455455. Good Luck!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

Would think it'd be easier to take the train down to Dublin and get the ferry across to Holyhead and take the direct through train to London Euston - Stena Line are offering package fares on the Dublin route when combined with train tickets.

Personally, I'd take the Ryanair flight and plant a tree. Also, EasyJet are offering a 'carbon neutral' charge on all their flights where you can offset the emissions.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

If you think you'll enjoy the whole slow travel experience then why not!

You could catch the ferry from Larne to Troon, then catch the train from Troon to Glasgow Central, then catch the train to London Euston on the Virgin pendolino train, which takes about four and a half hours, and has a reputation for being a very civilised and enjoyable mode of transport.

At least this way you'll end up in the centre of London rather than a distant outpost that requires a further couple of hours waiting for your luggage, waiting for a train/bus, travelling on said train/bus.

Let us know if you decide to go this route and how it turns out:-)

cheers

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

Check www.seat61.com/NorthernIreland.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

Have I missed something here. How can it be "Carbon Neutral" if you are getting to a ferry port by Diesel/Electric train, taking a gas turbine ferry then a desiel train.

There is no way to take a carbon neutral trip as far as I know. Even if you walked and rowed you would be exhaling more CO2 due to the exertion.

The only way you can be carbon neutral is to stay at home in the cold & dark eating tofu :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

"There is no way to take a carbon neutral trip as far as I know. Even if you walked and rowed you would be exhaling more CO2 due to the exertion."

Apparently it can produce more carbon to walk than use a car, LOL. (so several children in a car would bdefinitely e more 'green' than their neighbours walking to school!

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article2195538.ece

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,885 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

NIce article. It seems that the only way you can avoid giving out CO2 is to stop breathing and die. However come to think about it as you decompose you would give off methane. Damn those hydrocarbons!!

8. Re: Boat and train Belfast to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 17:16