We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Belfast

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Belfast

Hi there,

I'll be spending a night in Belfast on October 15 before flying home from BIA on October 16. My original plan was to drop off the rental car at the airport the evening of the 15th, then take the shuttle into the city centre where I'm staying at the Belfast International Youth Hostel.

Now, I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be easier to keep the car with me until the 16th and return it just before my flight, eliminating the extra stop at the airport. I guess I had just assumed that driving in Belfast wouldn't be advisable, because it's a bigger city - so, what do you think? Is it relatively easy and stress-free to navigate? The BIYH does have a free car park, so I wouldn't have to worry about looking for parking...but is it like Dublin in that non-locals probably shouldn't attempt it?

Also, my flight home doesn't leave til 8:00 pm, so I'd have plenty of time to return the car....

Thanks for any advice. :)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Belfast

Do you mean Belfast City Airport or Belfast International Airport? The latter is quite a way out of town, so I would therefore advise you to keep your car with you. Belfast is a very small city, even by British standards, and is easy to drive around. As long as your hostel has parking, you will be fine. The other factor would be that a car would provide easy transport to Belfast International for you to catch your flight home.

Edit: I see that you do mention that you are travelling from Belfast International, so I would definitely keep the car.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Belfast

Thanks for the info Raydar - I think I had myself convinced that I should just keep the car by the time I finished typing out my post...haha. I just needed to hear that it wouldn't be nightmarish to drive in Belfast. So thanks! :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Belfast

Just confirming Raydar's posting that Belfast is fine to drive in, nothing at all like Dublin.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Belfast

My advice to to definitley keep the car especially if you are getting free parking. Belfast is an easy city to drive in compared to Dublin but they are doing a lot of Road upgrade works and if you are driving in peak times ie when people finish work it is a nightmare at the minute!!

If you need to be at BIA for 6 to check in for your flight I would give yourself an hour to an hour and a hlaf to get there to be on the safe side the earlier you leave the less traffic.

I hopr you enjoy your stay and if you need any other info please let me know.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
291 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Belfast

Thank you both for your replies - it's settled - I've emailed the rental company to request a change...hope they'll be accommodating.

Thanks again! I stress about this stuff way too much, hehe.

6. Re: Driving in Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 04:16