We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Ciao, will be coming to Belfast during the first weekend of November. There are 3 of us: me in my early 30s, a local lad in the late 20s and the yout in his early 20s. The young one wants to get wrecked, pull the lasses and hit a club on the Saturday night (we have already agreed to do a pub-crawl on the Friday night), the middle one doesn't particularly like clubs but will go with the flow. I am very relunctant to go to a club or in fact anywhere rowdy and full of young lager louts in the making. I really would like to avoid teenage drinkers if possible. I don't want to be the wet blanket and spoil the fun but I really cannot enjoy myself in nightclubs anymore.

Can anyone recommend some decent chilled out and cool bars that can satisfy all 3 of us? Nice surroundings, a mixed slightly older crowd, good music, good atmosphere???

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Hello I had a good laugh at your heading but you will fit right in here as no one here boogie, well not that I have seen!!!

There is no shortage of Bars in Belfast I would recommend Robinsons, Crown amd the Beaten Docket for a few on a Friday then maybe call around to the Apartment beside the City Hall which is a trendy bar.

On Saturday night a good place which would suit all your age groups would be the Wellington Park Hotel (known locally as the welly boot) and also the M Club would be quite good.

I hope you have a great time in Belfast

Roger

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Hi Roger,

Thanks! The Welly Boot sounds interesting. Does it have any type of dress code?

The reason I ask is that I am coming with hand luggage only and plan to visit the Giants Causeway therefore have only so much room for clothes and footwear.

Can I get in with trainers? Obviously I will also have some other items of clothing on ;-)

belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

The beaten docket, welly park !!!! No. no, no.

Ok for divorcess in their 30/40s with plenty of jewelry.

Behind the crown, across the square is irene and nans, Dj and 30 something crowd.

Down the side of it is bar bacca, DJ, cocktails, 30 somethings, chilled out.

both get quite busy from about 8pm.

The apartment on the side of city hall is excellent. lovely women, great cocktails, settess, great view. again can get v busy.

Botanic area.

The empire/bar 12 are both good bars, and the chance of getting a table/seat is high.

cathedral quarter.

more trendy bars. The spainyard is good, although painfully small.

The pot house could be worth a go, although it can be ponsy and takes itself way to seriously.

The duke of york is ok as well.

For pure drinking - no trendy DJ/cocktails - try bittleses/kitchen bar and the start of cathedral quarter.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Hello

The bars above are also good bars as for the Welly it is anything from early twenties to late 50s anything goes.

You will get into very few places with trainers so I would definitley pack a pair of shoes if possible.

You will enjoy the Giants Causeway I hope you get a good day for it.

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Thanks Gooserss and Roger!

Maybe I might get ridiculed if I took my friends to a place with 50 somethings... I asked the local lad Damo if he had heard of the Welly boot and he replied it's full of grannies. Therefore i very much doubt we will be going there.

Definitely want to avoid poncy places but i think we will try and hit as many of those places Gooserss mentioned. What i'll do it drop a few of those names to make out if i had been reading up on the nightlife.

Also, would like to get in the Liverpool v Blackburn match on the saturday - its an early evening kickoff. Any pubs with several screens all over the place? there doesn't have to be a large screen but as long as there are plenty! Maybe with screens in the urinals so i can p*#s on robbie savage's face - (believe i didnt mean that to sound festishy or kinky in any way!)

duff

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

lol there are plenty of pubs which should show the game if its on Sky or Setanta it will definitley be on all the pubs if you tell me where you are staying I'll tell you where to go but you'll be spoilt for choice anyway.

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Hi Roger, to tell you the truth I don't actually know where we'll be staying. I know we'll be crashing at our mates. I know that he lives about 15 minutes away from the centre!!! Anyway, thats not important. Saturday afternoon we'll be doing the 'troubles' tour in a black cab so i presume any decent pub would do in that 'zone'? Do the tours all start and finish at the same place? Am i talking rubbish? Maybe best i get the address of my mate!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

If the match is on Sky or Setanta 95% of Bars in Belfast will show the game. If you are doing the tours they usually leave you back in the city centre, if its the black taxi one it will leave you where ever you want, if you say to the taxi driver he will leave you at a good bar to watch the game.

Vicenza, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Excellent thanks so much for your help. I'll be staying in Cregagh area of Belfast.

Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast nightlife for 30 year olds who can't boogie

Irene and Nan's, Bar Bacca etc get absolutely packed at weekends and you end up paying vastly inflated prices to drink in deeply uncomfortable places - I suppoe you are surrounded by Belfast's beautiful people, though!!

Definitely try Crown, Robinsons - recently voted NI's two top favourite bars. Fibber Magees behind Robinsons is good fun. There's semi traditional music, unselfconcious "dancing" and generally good craic. It does get crowded, though. Don't be conned into thinking this is the real Oirish experience but visitors I've taken there always love it ( and you never fail to pull!!)