We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Lunch

Liverpool
4 posts
Save Topic
Sunday Lunch

Hello!

I am visiting Belfast soon and my visit covers a Sunday. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a really, really, really good Sunday lunch please? (Lots of roasties & lashings of gravy are a must!!)

I might have a hire car while there so travelling outside of the city centre wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Lunch

Hi

I would recommend the Monaco Bar. (17 Lombard Street which is across the road from Castlecourt (main shopping centre in the City Centre) it does really nice food.

belfast-UK
Level Contributor
491 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Lunch

This place does a nice sunday lunch http://www.mchughsbar.com

jj....

county antrim
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Lunch

Hi Swinnie,

Absolutely best place in Belfast is the Stormont Hotel carvery. Not cheap, but an incredible selection of really good, interesting food. Even better, you can walk it all off in the Stormont grounds opposite afterwards! Oh, and they've got a chocolate fountain - need I say more?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Lunch

I love the Bellevue Arms in Newtownabbey. It's a 15minute drive from the city centre, opposite Belfast Zoo and as it's at the top of the Antrim Road which is quite a long hill, the views over Belfast from the restaurant are fantastic. The restaurant is on the top floor with a more traditional style bar downstairs.

This website has some reviews on it: www.belfastbar.co.uk/Bellevue-Arms-Review.htm

It seems some people tend to complain about the service but I have never had any trouble, but like tripadvisor you always get someone complaining.

The food is great with huge portions of traditional roast sunday lunches, surf n'turf, lasagne with garlic potatoes and that kind of thing. The link to their site isn't working at the moment but I'm sure if you call them they could email you a menu.

1 tip though... if you do decide on here, make sure you book at least 48 hours in advance as they do get very busy!

If you like the idea of the view, there is also Knockagh Lodge which is a lovely 25 minute drive from Belfast in Greenisland. Their website is fantastic with pictures and their wide selection menu: http://www.knockaghlodge.com

Admittedly I haven't been here in years, but it was very good when I was there.

Finally there's Belfast Castle which is set in some truly gorgeous grounds which you can explore after lunch: http://www.belfastcastle.co.uk/

I've only popped into the Cellar Restaurant for a look when i was there for a wedding, so I'm not sure if there's a view and their menu is not as traditional or varied as the other two, so maybe this could be a spot just to drive up to rather than lunch.

Hope you get sorted!

Moira

Liverpool
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Lunch

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be checking them all out prior to departure! I might even try a few out on the other days, they sound so good :-))

ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Lunch

hi swinnie, if you have a car you might want to try the marine court hotel in bangor for sunday lunch. but it is advised to book a table as it is ALWAYS very busy on a sunday.

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Lunch

We went to the Stormont hotel recently for the carvery and were very very disappointed. Starters were really good. Main was very limited, only three types - dryish turkey, over salty ham and a very tasty beef. Desserts were pretty good. The worse thing was we got there about 1.50 and by 2.30 they had cleared all the starters, by 2.45 the mains were gone and at 3 the desserts were done and cleaners were clearing tables. We were just waiting for someone to start hoovering. The food itself, aside from the actual carvery which was poor, was good and we had plenty of it, but when you are paying £22 a head, and £8.50 for a glass of wine I dont want to be rushed. I wouldnt go back.

My fav sunday lunches would either be in the city centre Merchant Hotel, about the same price as the Stormont for a really nice sit down meal in their main dinning room or as a much cheaper option a dim sum lunch in the Lee Gardens (a chinese near the city centre on Botanic Avenue) sipping tea and watching the world go by out of their big window.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Lunch

as with most hotels and restaurants swinnie, lunch is always a bit hit and miss no matter where you go. depends on who the chef is on a given day. i agree with some of the other suggestions, marine court in bangor in particular, but my honest opinion would be the "OLD INN" Crawfordsburn, just outside Bangor. has recently gone 4* and i have not ever had a bad meal there.

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Lunch

Just to second the shout there for the Old Inn Crawfordsburn. We went for lunch the Sunday before Christmas and it was very good as usual. It has never let me down for lunch or dinner

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday Lunch

Now I spot the original post is over a year old. May be useful for anyone looking for lunch in the future I suppose