We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast murals?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast murals?

I would like to visit Belfast mid-June and would like to see the political murals in the Falls and Shankill roads. I read, however, that legislation has been passed that calls for the murals, at least the ones about 'The Troubles', to be painted over. Are there many left? Have they already been painted over? The latest reference to the murals still being there that I can find is from 2007.

belfast
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast murals?

Dont worry they are all still there.

The legislation refers to extremely violent murals, suggesting that they should be painted over and more positive paintings used. To date, i think 1 mural is due to be taken down, and this after many months of negiotiation. Just because a law has been passed doesnt mean it will happen quickly in these areas.

Take a taxi tour, or bus tour and see the murals. Its no problem to get out and take photos.

Also the lagan boat tour round the shipyard is good.

Enjoy your stay.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast murals?

I would recommend that you take the red bus tour. It takes you to many of the interesting places in Belfast including the Falls and Shankill Roads and the commentary is funny and very interesting. Belfast is a great place to visit - enjoy.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast murals?

We were in Belfast a month ago and saw no indications that murals referencing “The Troubles” were headed for immediate demise. I would suggest that when selecting a tour bus or black taxi service to see them to be sure that you will get to see murals in both the Catholic and Protestant areas. I’ve heard that some operators do not visit the Protestant side.

The murals, when presented by a competent tour guide, are fascinating.

London
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast murals?

Hi, I would definitely advise the bus over the taxis. You have a better view. They are hop-on, hop-off. The bus is cheaper. The commentary is better. The bus tends to be less biased.

Belfast
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast murals?

No, it's true, a lot of murals are being painted over and many are already gone. They're still nice murals, they're just becoming more to do with heritage, culture and community rather than paramilitaries and politics. Here's some current info on the project:

artscouncil-ni.org/news/2008/new07032008.htm

Taxis tours can cost £25, the guides are a bit hit and miss, sometimes you will get a really friendly, helpful, knowledgeable guide and sometimes not.

If it's West Belfast politics and murals you're interested in seeing, you could try getting in touch with this organisation who do walking tours in the area (including the political murals etc): http://www.coiste.ie/p_tours.htm

Or for some really interesting tours, which show you different sides of Belfast: http://www.belfastsafaris.com/

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast murals?

I know the UFF Grim Reaper mural in the Village (South Belfast) is gone (which is shame because even though I hated its message, it did look pretty cool), and i think some of the ones on Sandy Row are earmarked for a date with the white paint. The ones on the Shankil and Newtownards are pretty much intact though. There's still plenty to see.

toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast murals?

There are still dozens of murals highlighting the "TROUBLES" and the best way to see them is a black taxi tour, the open top bus only goes a specific route, the black cabs can and do go anywhere. If you use a reputable, well rated company, they know where to take you, even off the beaten track, so to speak. It may cost a little more, but it's well worth it, especially if there are a number of you.

Check out www. belfastcitytours.com their guides in particular, get great reviews.

Belfast
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast murals?

I have seen a few murals painted over in the east of the city (where I am from), but I do believe there are plenty still to be seen in the west of the city. I agree with those above, the best way to see these murals, and the rest of the city, is by the red Belfast Citysightseeing bus.

Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast murals?

I would suggest you forget the murals, that time is past now and Belfast and all of Northern Ireland is progressive and thriving with loads of things to do and see. Try the folk museum at Cultra, Carrick a Rede rope bridge and Giants Causeway, Magilligan point....the list goes on and on, we go to Belfast for 4 or 5 days every year and still finding lots to do and see.

10. Re: Belfast murals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 03:19