We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

We're flying into Belfast and will have from around 9am to 8pm in a hire car before returning home. The Giants Causeway and rope bridge are must sees, along with driving the coast on the way back. As this is short notice I'm after quick tips on anything else you recommend (or tips for the causeway) to make our day out spot on! Lovely scenery/short 1/2 hr walks etc. I'd normally look into this myself so apologise for being lazy.

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

I have just tried to reply to you so apologies if this is a second post on the same topic. Suggestions: Bushmills Distillery; Dunluce Castle; a walk in Glenarriff forest park on your way back if time allows; Carrickfergus Castle; stop in some of the towns/villages as they are nearly all by the sea - good ice cream at Ballygalley, nice meals at Carnlough, shopping in Larne. Hope this is of some help.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

Don't rely on getting getting ice cream at Ballygally, it has now closed.

There is a fantastic drive you can do on the way back down the Coast from Giant's Causeway which takes you over Torr Head. This is the closest spot to Scotland from Ireland and on a clear day you can clearly see the Wind Farm on the Mull of Kintyre. The drive is unsuitable for coaches and caravans as it quite steep and twisty but the views more than make up for it. Just watch your time as it is easy for it to slip by you!

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

Thank you both for your helpful replies. Dunluce Castle and Torr Head are now on our itinerary and I've noted the other suggestions. Looking forward to it and wishing it was for longer.

Lincoln, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

Such a pity about the ice cream - and I was going to go there when we next came over :( thanks for letting me know that bit Adequate! And mrspink have a lovely time!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

Hi lincsdumpling, it really is a pity the ice cream is no longer available at Ballygally. The shop and restaurant beside it are both up for sale with planning permission applied for to convert them into - guess what - apartments. Such a shame as there is now no shop between Larne and Glenarm which is roughly 12 miles away.

What I would recommend, although it will be slightly more expensive than ice-cream, is to call into Ballygally Castle Hotel for coffee and one of their desserts. Their Sticky Toffee Pudding is to die for.

Other than that it's on to Glenarm for shop bought branded ice cream or if you are lucky there may be an ice cream van in the Car Park at Glenarm which sells soft ice cream.

6. Re: last minute day trip to Belfast area advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 22:16