We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days to see Northern Ireland

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 days to see Northern Ireland

Attending a conference in Dublin mid-October and starting to research best way to see North without a car. Thinking of staying at Jury's as they seem to have internet specials in my price range and getting a bus/train pass to head out on day trips ie Derry, Giant's Causeway, etc. in addition to seeing Belfast itself.

I notice most day tours seem to run only until September with exception of Paddywagon ones and wondering if their day tours from Dublin to Belfast and Northern Coast the route to go. I am a senior travelling solo so not looking for party/pubhopping types of tours. Mainly interested in beauty of Irish landscape.

Any thoughts and any affordable 3-5 day tour recommendations welcomed as note most seem to leave from Dublin.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days to see Northern Ireland

Try looking at translink for public transport timetables they run day trips as well as the scheduled services all over the country.

Good luck.

Belfast
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days to see Northern Ireland

Here is a link to the NI tourist board this is a good place to start.

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com

If traveling up to the north coast i recommend staying a night in the bushmills inn (http://www.bushmillsinn.com). Traditional building with open log fires beside the famous whiskey distillery. Hard to beat.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days to see Northern Ireland

That's a difficult one - NI's public transport isn't fantastic, so the best way to see the coast is with a car. I haven't been on one of the Paddywagon tours, but I see they do one of the north coast and Derry leaving from Belfast. Something like that is probably your best alternative - if you want to take ordinary buses to places like the Giant's Causeway or the Carrick-a-Rede ropebridge, the route might get quite long and convoluted. Translink do day tours as well (translink.co.uk/resources/…scenery01.html) but unfortunately they only seem to operate over the summer.

It's a lot easier to get to major towns and cities like Derry with the bus or train. (For Derry, take the train.) If you're interested in Irish history, I can recommend a day trip to Downpatrick. There's a centre there with a great exhibition on St Patrick and a very interesting museum on the history of the area. Co. Down also has some beautiful scenery. A bus goes directly from Belfast to Downpatrick quite reguarly - takes about an hour.

4. Re: 5 days to see Northern Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 05:27
Get answers to your questions about Belfast