We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recent trouble

uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
recent trouble

is it still safe to visit belfast,just seen news tonight,and am a bit concerned,,wouldnt like to be put off

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,983 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recent trouble

The chance of being involved in a terrorist incident is far, far less than the chance of being involved in a car accident in your home town.

Virginia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: recent trouble

Theoretically true, but it's still worrying. My 18-year-old nephew and his girlfriend are going over in a few weeks for a graduation trip, and Belfast is high on his agenda. Everyone is trying to talk him into staying south. Up until today's news reports, I thought Belfast would be fine--now, I have to tell him not to press his luck.

Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: recent trouble

I am really concerned too. I have booked to stay in Belfast for Easter with my two children. Can someone who lives in Belfast let us know whether these are just random isolated incidents please and whether in their opinion it is still a safe place to visit?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recent trouble

Do not be cancelling your holidays everything will be fine all the things happening at the minute are areas you wouldn't be going into anyway. Stick to the tourist spots and the city centre and you will all have a great time.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recent trouble

I know it looks bad on the telly, but really, as has been said, the trouble spots are not places you would be going to anyway, come and enjoy your holiday, you will have a great time.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recent trouble

I just want to agree with what has been said and reassure you. I was in Belfast city centre last night and there were a good few number of tourists about.

Please don't let this put you off! Come and have a good time, stick to the tourist areas and you will be fine :o)

South East
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recent trouble

These 'incidents' are generally in outlying areas and not in the City Centre, Be like me not going into London because of rioting in Brixton or Notting Hill (OR maybe even 2mrw at this G summit).

Please don't be put off, it is as safe as anywhere in the UK.

Belfast
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recent trouble

I can see why it would put you off but you would have to be really unlucky to be involved in anything, the city center and tourist areas are all fine, and out in the countryside tourist spots things would be grand.

Plus it will all be vastly cheaper than holidaying in the south.

Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recent trouble

Thank you so much for your posts which are greatly re-assuring. My husband and I visited about 18 months ago and loved it. Our son will be studying the troubles for history so we thought it would be a good thing to visit again.

uk
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recent trouble

thanks for all your messages.i thought it would be ok,but just wanted to make sure,,im really looking forward to our weekend away in belfast,,cheers all