We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Topic
Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

....Belfast is a wonderful place to visit!!

Eventually getting around to writing about my weekend in Belfast. Visiting regularly for day trips (primarily for shopping), we decided that there had to be more to offer and booked a two night stay.

Promised myself (and hubbie) that it wouldn't be a shopping trip - I surprised myself by only buying a bottle of moisturiser as I had left my own at home.

We booked the Radisson Hotel at the Gasworks - separate review written. Arrived way before the 3.00pm checkin but it wasn't a problem and we were in the heart of the city by 1.00pm wondering what we would do.

First on the list was the sightseeing trip http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/

What a delightful 90 minutes and so worth the money. The ticket seller was the first person we encountered who extended Belfast hospitality to us. Don't know if he gave me the student rate or the oap rate but my ticket was cheaper than hubbies;-) He really had the gift of the gab!. This tour was the highlight of the weekend. There is so much more to Belfast that goes under the radar - eg I didn't know Universal Studios had a location in the city, that the Salt Refinery exports salt to the USA (imagine!) and so much more trivia. Our Guide was so informative and I loved his dry sense of humour. Driving up the Shankill and Falls Roads and seeing these places that are entrenched in our history over the years. I was amazed driving through Shankill and people waving at the bus. The murals on both sides are amazing to see. A must for anyone visiting Belfast. The bus was full - Irish, American, Japanese, Australian and French. It was great to see such a broad spectrum of nationalities.

Lunch in the Gormet Burger Kitchen in Victoria Square - well I just HAD to go to Victoria Square to get my moisturiser!!

A stop off at the Belfast Welcome Centre was next on the list - we were now bonefide tourists!!. Spoke to a charming girl about driving the Antrim Coast to the Giants Causeway on the Sunday. Left armed with a map with complimentary book on the area and a wonderful sense that Belfast was indeed buzzing - and it was the people who were making it so. Handy to know that they have luggage storage facilities there too for anyone not driving.

gotobelfast.com/welcome_to_belfast/belfast_w…

HAD to have a drink at the Crown Bar on our way back to the hotel. Freshened up and headed to Deane's Restaurant for dinner. Review written. Nothing to say apart from this is one of the reasons why we intend returning to Belfast for an overnighter in July.

Sunday morning we awoke to misty rain but thought we chance the drive up the coast. Bad idea - we couldn't see further than the bonnet of the car at one stage. However we kept thinking it would clear (it got worst!). It has to be a fantastic trip on a good day. Reminded me so much of the Almalfi Coast (only worst in spots!). We drove the road to Torr Head. Oh My God - when a sign says the road isn't suitable for coaches or caravans they sure do mean it! I had pulled the short straw and was driving. Suffice to say - I prayed real hard that we wouldn't meet any oncoming traffic!! Each time the clouds broke and we could see the stunning vistas made it worthwhile. Paid our £6 for the Giants Causeway carpark, dressed in our raingear, spent a penny(!) and got back into the car!! I wanted another excuse to have another stayover 'up North' and thought we wouldn't do the Causeway justice visiting in the rain. Had fish and chips from Nortons in Ballycastle in the car before heading back to Belfast. The fish and chips were worth the trip alone!!. Not to self - must put some salt sachets and wet wipes into the glove compartment for our next visit. Hubbie not impressed though - he can still get the smell of them in the car a week later..!!

Headed back into the city later that evening. Yet another charming man - taxi driver who advised us on the best route to take the following morning to get out of the city and head for the Bangor. His directions didn't fail and we had an easy drive the following morning. Down to Cathedral Quarter and had dinner in the Hill Street Brasserie. Meal was fine - nothing special but it filled the gap. TAPL the Dublin Expert had recommended that we visit the John Hewitt Bar - but we decided to have 'one' in the Merchant Bar beforehand. One led to two to three.... all the while chatting to Haydn the bartender. Never got to visit the John Hewitt bar (another reason to return I suppose!)

Monday morning we awoke to sunshine and pondered driving the Antrim coastline again. Eventually decided to return home via the Strangford Peninsula. Lovely drive and took the ferry ride across from Portaferry to Strangford. What a lovely village Strangford. A stop off in Downpatrick (at Asda!) and onwards to home.

Here's my thoughts. Belfast IS buzzing. Everyone we encountered was so friendly, helpful and courteous. Hospitality establishments in Southern Ireland should take note. I could actually say - if you want to experience 'real' Ireland - go to Northern Ireland.

There is so much to see and do. Top of my list for our next trip is a tour of the Crumlin Road Jail. I was disappointed that you have to pre-book but will do so before it closes in September. The Belfast Literary Walking Tour is another must - not to mention another trip up the coast. Looking forward to the day when we will be able to bungee jump from the Harland and Wolff crane too!!

There is absolutely no problems in being a visitor in Belfast. As long as you take the same precautions as you would in any city in any country there is nothing to worry about. Belfast was voted the 2nd most safest cities in the World (Tokyo was first) and also voted the friendliest city in the UK whilst we were there. I can understand why.

Canton of Vaud...
Level Contributor
143 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Glad that you had a great time and wonderful that someone else has thought how good a site the H&W cranes would be for bungee.....

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

LittlePumpkin, What a pity about the Antrim coast road being fogged in. It is just spectacular. Next time make hubby drive Torr Road so you can sit back and relax and then yell "stop here for a photo!"

I also like Co. Down and Co. Fermanagh but those would be different trips. I was recently at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum near Holywood. It was a good day out with lots of interesting things to see and do.

Some other places for good eats in the area are Grace Neill's in Donaghadee, Marine Hotel Ballycastle, Sweeney's in Portballintrae, Distillers Arms in Bushmills.

Must agree with you completely about the friendly folks in N.I. Reminds me of the "old" Ireland of decades ago.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Fab report! Thanks for posting that :o) Glad you had a lovely time, pity about the weather I think you must have been heading up the coast the same day as me, the weather was awful. - All a good reason to come back ;o)

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Great report Pumpkin, great review, Belfast IS a great city, and i think people are starting to see just how good it is, thanks for that.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

No probs folks - just telling it as it was :-)

Have just booked a night in the Malmaison in July at £69 - what a steal (haven't told hubbie yet - he'll kill me spending money!!).

Have to budget now for a night or two in the Merchant Hotel coming up to Christmas. Can visualise sitting in the bar with a Tom and Jerry (can't remember what is in it but I KNOW I wanted one!!), lovely atmosphere with the fire lighting and trying to memorise their cocktail menu book exhausted from all the shopping, - ah bliss

Looks like this may become a regular thing ;-)

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Hi LittlePumpkin,

Great report on your trip up North & glad you love it just as much as we do ! We are very frequent visitors to both Belfast & the Warrenpoint/Kilkeel area of Down.The hospitality & friendliness of the people are second to none,we have made many good friends up there so no need to be booking hotels any longer.

Asda is Downpatrick is a favourite of ours too,we fill up on the "NECESSITIES" when we are up !

Haven't been to the Giants Causeway but we are planning a 10 day trip in the general area in August !Can't wait !

belfast
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

What a great report. It's nice to hear nice stuff. It's sad when a few people give a place a bad name and i hope people read this and decide to come visit. great report!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

and guess what .....

.... I'm going for my over-nighter next week

Giants Causeway, Crumlin Road Jail and of course a bit of shopping are on the agenda.

Can't wait!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

LP, Hope you get good weather this time. Will you get all the way to Dunluce Castle? It is very "atmospheric". Every little beach and cove along the way is special too.

Belfast
Level Contributor
188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ssssh - don't tell anyone....

Ive always said that if i won the lottery i would create the "H&W Crane Bungee" .... so nobody go stealing my idea haha!

Either that, or a golf driving range on top of them ....