We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions wanted

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions wanted

We are flying into Heathrow and then thinking of flying to Belfast, renting a car, touring northern ireland and then the republic, bringing the car back to Belfast, taking the ferry to Straner and meeting up with son for a week of golf in Scotland. Does this sound right? Where would be the best place to rent a car? at the airport? or by the ferry port? We are thinking of flying either Aer Lingus or BMI....any preferences? We could also rent a car at Heathrow and take a long driving trip and ferry car across into Ireland and then back to Scotland then back to London....any and all suggestions welcome.

DC Tours - A History of Terror
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Belfast Mural Experience
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Belfast Food Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Other Food & Drink
Belfast Free Walking Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions wanted

Peterscot: I had read in a guide book just this week that tensions can still be seen especially during marching season. That made me pause and think that perhaps there might still be some tensions out there. I have not heard from the media that anything has been happening in a long time, but just wanted to make sure before putting it on the itinerary. Some people are drawn to protests and things, I am not. We would love to visit Londonderry as long as things are calm, which it appears that at present they are.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions wanted

Yes there are some problems at times in N.Ireland but compared to years gone by they are minor and very localised - very unlikely to impact directly on tourists.

On the jetlag issue then definitely stay a night in Belfast - driving with jetlag will be infinitely more dangerous than any marching season issues.

Dingle is very beautiful and if the weather is right you can take a fabulous boat trip to Skellig where there is an ancient monastery. You can't expect to do everything in the time - you will have to make tough choices but that is because Ireland is so wonerful - even my plan ignores the beauty of somewhere like the Wicklow mountains

13. Re: Suggestions wanted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 05:17