We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Hi

I have booked the Fitzwilliam for a one night stay in September. I got a rate that I could cancel without charge its £95 room only for a standard single room.

I have spent sometime this afternoon on the net and I have found that I can now get The Merchant for £125 room only direct with the hotel or for £128 incl breakfast via an online travel agent.

My question is...is it worth it?

The photos of the Merchant make it look a bit like a rural french hotel, in that the carpets match the wallpaper, that matches the sheets etc. Is it really like that? Also I am not to sure where it is, how far is it from say Castle Court?

If I have breakfast at the Fitzwilliam its going to cost I guess around £16. So we are really only talking an extra £17

Advice please

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Both are good hotels - whilst the F is boutique-modern in style I would certainly not call the MH rural - it 's a bit more "traditional" luxury - it is also just as central as the F - in fact it is probably closer to Castlecourt by a few yards

I see you have stayed at the Europa before so for a Cathedral Quarter perspective then I suggest the MH (the breakfast inclusive rate is a good one)

Edited: 26 March 2010, 18:17
Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

£128 with breakfast, i would bite their arm off for that, go and get it.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Camperdown

I have posted on the Fitzwilliam carparking thread to you - but will post here too! We have stayed in Belfast frequently over the last year, staying in the Radisson, The Malmaison and most recently The Fitzwilliam (last weekend). It has been my ambition (!) to stay in the Merchant as we have always called in for a drink on each of our visits. With the exchange rate though, we so far have always booked the cheaper option.

However, based on our stay in the Fitzwilliam last weekend, the Merchant is now on the back burner for the foreseeable future. We loved the Fitzwilliam and it is now firmly our hotel of choice when staying in Belfast. Naturally I havent been in the bedrooms of the Merchant, but the decor is opulent, luxurious, old-style in the public places whereas the decor in the Fitzwilliam is opulent, luxurious and trendy fashionable. The infamous Crown bar is virtually across the road from the Fitzwilliam/the Cathedral quarter is across the road from the Merchant. It probably boils down to what suits you best

Neither hotel is great distance from the Castlecourt - in actual fact, no where is any great distance from wherever you are in the city. It is a nice compact place.

Either way and whichever you choose, I'd imagine you wont regret either.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 18:28
Ireland
Level Contributor
103 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

I recently stayed in a deluxe twin room in the Fitzwilliam and was very impressed with both the decor and service.

I have to say, however, that I would be tempted to avail of The Merchant's offer, primarily because it seems less likely to be available again at a time that suits you, while the Fitzwilliam often has good deals on.

The Merchant seems really luxurious in a traditional way, while the Fitzwilliam had more of a modern, and therefore less opulent, feel. You certainly won't be disappointed with the latter, but the Merchant, to me, looks like more of a treat.

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,980 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

You can also get a really nice cocktail in the Merchant, it's their speciality, and for £750, it's well worth it !!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Merchant Hotel is about a five minute walk from Castle Court. There's a lovely bar joined on to it called the Cloth Ear which does very good food at a reasonable price, incidentally. Enjoy your stay in our city.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Merchant, Merchant, Merchant!

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

Joining in the Merchant chant! Did you book it? I would love to stay in the Merchant.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

So would I love to stay in it NYCFan. But I am saving it for a winter trip. I have this mental image of snuggling down into voluptuous folds of bedlinen/pillows in oppulent surroundings on a cold wintery night (snow would be ideal!). Must start making out my Christmas Wish List and put a night in the Merchant at the top of it (Gosh I cant believe I mentioned the "C" word in April!). Hmmm The Merchant at Christmastime - what more could anyone wish for!

It's now a tradition with us to stop in though for a cocktail (or two) in the bar when we are in the city. Roll on the weekend

Until December so, its the Fitzwilliam all the way!

Edited: 28 April 2010, 12:24
Bangor
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merchant or the Fitzwilliam

I have stayed in both and I recommend the Merchant. It is closer to Castlecourt than the Fitzwilliam though not by so much as to determine your choice, I think. However, what would determine my decision would be the amount of discount you have achieved, if you book the Merchant. You may not find such an offer again and the F always has offers and is easiest to pay for normally, anyway.

Several bars and restaurants close to the M, more than close to the F. Spaniard, Muriels, Cloth Ear, Nick's Warehouse, The Great Room. near to the F would be erm, the restaurant in the Europa, Crown Bar, Deane's,Cayenne but, already we have gone into a bigger radius than from the Merchant.