We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

I've had the plan to fly into BFS or BHD and drive to Dublin.... and today I finally got around to checking the car rental rates. $300-450 for two days!!!

Can anyone provide any assistance? I'm looking ideally for pickup at BHD June 19 21:00 and dropoff Dublin City Center Jun 21 16:00...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,630 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Belfast and Dublin are in different countries, and there is always a very large one-way fee for such rentals. The rental company has to send someone to Dublin to drive the car back to Northern Ireland.

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Don't know if you belong to AAA or Costco, but they can both be less expensive if you go through them. I went through AAA for our car rental in May. I feel pretty good about $200.00 for 5 day rental in England. I will have a drop off fee of 35 GBP when we drop off at Heathrow. AAA uses Hertz, so there has to be a Hertz in both your pick up and drop off location.

Good luck

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Sorry but I've just checked with a couple of local (Norther Ireland) suppliers - around £230 is what it will cost. Pretty similar to a one-way between say New York and Toronto.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Just take the bus or train! As sydneynick said the one way drop off is what is killing you .

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Get the aircoach from Belfast to Dublin Airport and if you must hire a car from there. To be honest unless you have specific needs hiring a car for Dublin itself is actively discouraged. Both Belfast and Dublin have good public transport. As has been said Belfast is UK, Sterling GB£ and Dublin is Republic of Ireland, Euro. so you will also need both currencies.

http://www.aircoach.ie/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Thanks for all the advice. It's not for Dublin we want the car, it's inbetween Belfast and Dublin! I'll look into a 1-day rental in Belfast (to see the northern sights like Giant's Causeway, etc) and then maybe train/bus to Dublin and a car rental day there. I bet in total it's cheaper than the exorbitant drop fee...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

Yep - after checking around, a 1-day car rental from Belfast is $45. Then a train/bus down to Dublin is $50 total for both of us. MMUUCCHH cheaper than any one-way car rental would ever be! Thanks, decision made.

8. Re: Ack- renting car from Belfast to Dublin is a fortune!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Belfast