We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
50 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

We were hoping to fly to Rome in April 2011 and have been waiting for the flights to come out from Aer Lingus.

After 4 phone calls we have had 4 different reasons why the flights are not out yet, the last one being "I think if the flights are not out yet then we might not be flying there"

We would prefer to fly from Belfast instead of Dublin as this would add another 2 hours onto our journey. Also we would prefer to fly direct.

Has anyone else had this problem with Aer Lingus?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

It definitely looks from their website that they are stopping that route at the end of October although usually you do have official announcements. Jet2 used to do the Belfast-Rome flight, then Aer Lingus - maybe it just isn't that profitable. You could hold out in the hope that if there is an official announcement that easyjet or another airline would pick it up but unfortunately they do seem to constantly change the routes. Aer lingus stopped the Paris route which seemed very popular but it was competing with easyjet, there are also no direct flights to Germany (you used to be able to fly to Berlin, then to Munich but those options aren't there this year).

Sorry, but as the timetables for other airlines are out for next Spring, I suspect you will need to consider flying form Dublin. If you can, consider going on the bus (either aircoach or Ulsterbus/Bus Eireann) as it saves the stress of driving and cost of airport parking. I know it doesn't work for everyone but I did this earlier this year and it was very pain-free. It's great if you have someone who can pick you up at the Europa bus station.

Sorry, don't think that helps but I think your fears are well-founded.

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,885 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

Typical Aer Lingus, pulling the plug again, as has been said about the Paris route, knocked me for six on that one last year, I thought it was a very popular route, easyjet can now charge what they like, no competition.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
50 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

totally agree, Ive just booked from Dublin

Belfast, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

If Aer Lingus do pull out - Easyjet may step in. They (not Jet2) flew to Ciampino Rome previously. Easyjet normally release their flights for Spring around the end of September

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

Belfast to Rome is on sale now and starts from 1st Feb 2011.

6. Re: Aer Lingus - Belfast to Rome April 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 07:16