We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Causeway for 2 nights

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Giant Causeway for 2 nights

We will be in Ireland for 18 days, traveling by public transit. We will be in Dublin, Belfast, Londonderry, Galway then back to dublin to fly out. I have been trying to figure all this out. I would love some help.

1. Best way from Dublin to Belfast- it looks like the bus that used to do this run quite. Would bus Eiranne or train be the best bet now?

2. While in Belfast I want to do the Giant causeway. I see that we can do a daytour from Belfast - no trouble, but would we be better off and enjoy the area more if we planned to go up and stay in a local B&B or hotel? Also if we do that would we have a way around the causeway...it looks like there is a tram service but I can't get current information to see if it is still running. We love the outdoors and I would like to really spend some time up here, but don't want to be stuck without a car and not see it.

3. From Londonderry we are having trouble getting info on the bus to Galway. I see that it is route 64 and it runs through Sligo. Have thought about stopping here for the night as we have an extra day in our plans...but can't get pricing on the bus. Would it be expensive to go 1/2 way and stop and then go the rest compared to a straight service from Derry to Galway. As for the buseirann site we are really struggling with it, to get info between the 2 countries..is that normal?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give on our planning.

Donna

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giant Causeway for 2 nights

Hi, I will try to help a bit!

1) Train is the more comfortable and quicker option. The bus tends to be cheaper and more frequent as it goes via Dublin airport. The train leaves from Connolly station and is jointly operated by Translink and Ianród Éireann

www.irishrail.ie/our_services/enterprise.asp

http://www.translink.co.uk/Enterprise/

2) I would always recommend spending time up here as the coast is lovely BUT it depends on what time of year you come how easy it is to get around. The easiest time is June - September inclusive.

From Belfast you can take the scenice bus route on the Antrim Coaster

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

(A quicker but not scenic alternative is to go directly from Belfast to Coleraine by bus or train and then connect on from there to your chosen destination).

A hotel near the Causeway is the Bayview in Portballintrae - you can actually walk to the Causeway around the scenic headland (wear proper walking shoes for this as it isn't a short walk). Alternatively other nice walks are to the white rocks in Portrush via East Strand or Portstewart Crescent to the Strand aka the Cliff Path.

Lots of accommodation options in Bushmills which make it easy to get to the Causeway but check you are near the bus stop or the Causeway itself if you don't have a car.

During the summer months the Causeway Rambler operates

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

The tram/train runs for about a 2 mile stretch (you can also walk or cycle this) from Bushmills to the Causeway:

…webs.com/timetable2011.htm

3) I am really struggling to even get timetables to open on bus éireann website. It would be more expensive as you would be buying 2 separate tickets. I would suggest you contact them - their e-amil address should be in this link.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=88

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giant Causeway for 2 nights

I'll chip in with my 2 cents too!

1. Essentially you have two options: bus or train. Ponaire has already kindly linked to the Enterprise (train) option and personally I do prefer the train myself. If you book online you can usually get a great discount. The only issue is that apparently you can only have the vouchers for the tickets posted to a local address, although you could always see if your hotel in Dublin might be willing to receive/hold these for you on your behalf.

The alternative is the bus, which is the 200 Goldline/001 Bus Eireann service. Some people say they prefer the bus to the train, so really it's probably just a personal choice:

translink.co.uk/Services/…

2. It's lovely up the North Coast and of course if you can practically find a way to stay and get around up there then by all means go for it. However as someone who doesn't drive I personally would be a little wary about relying on public transport to get around in that area - bus times from place to place seem to be a little sparse and I would probably spend my time worrying about where I had to be and when. If it were me I would go on a tour, but that doesn't have to mean not spending a lot of time there. Some tour operators seem to be starting to do more overnight tours:

www.minicoachni.co.uk/overnight_tours.cfm

3. I'm afraid I have no idea - you could maybe try the Londonderry or Galway forums?

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giant Causeway for 2 nights

Check the Lough Swilly Bus Company to bridge the gap between Derry and Letterkenny:

http://www.loughswillybusco.com/

4. Re: Giant Causeway for 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 13:15