We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to Edinburgh

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
flights to Edinburgh

My daughter and I will be visiting Belfast for a few days and then flying to Edinburgh for a few days also. Should we leave from the Belfast City Airport (which is close to our hotel but has only turbo-prop service) or from Belfast International?

Many thanks

M

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to Edinburgh

What's wrong with turbo-props?

I'd pick the one that is cheapest / most convenient for your circumstances not forgetting to add in the cost in time & money of getting to the airport

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to Edinburgh

AIrlines that fly are

www.flybe.com from Belfast City Airport (Turbo Prop but it is fine) and

www.easyjet.com from Belfast International.

Belfast City is 10 to 15 minutes from the City centre and the bus no 600 is £2 per person one way.

Belfast International is 30 to 40 minutes from the city centre and the bus no. 300 is £7 per person one way.

Both buses go from the Great Victoria Street bus station.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to Edinburgh

I'd take FlyBe from City airport. Also don't know what you mean about Turbo Props. It's only a very short 50 minute flight on either airline, Hardly enough time for an Airbus jet to get to cruising altitude

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to Edinburgh

My preference would be Flybe. The planes may be small but it's only a short flight and their service is usually great. Also the City airport is less hassle to get to from the city centre.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to Edinburgh

It's not my intention to slight turboprop service :) I fly on turbo props occcasionally here in the States and recently had had a rather interesting "fly by the seat of your pants" turbo prop ride from Curacao to Aruba :) I was thinking more in terms about reliablity of service and that kinda thing - I don't want to go with a City Airport flight if they are notorious for poor service, cancellations, mechanical delays, etc.

Thanks!

M

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to Edinburgh

I am very comfortable with Easy Jet as I've flown with them over the years. But I think I'm gonna go through BHD so looks like it'll be FlyBe from Belfast to Edinburgh and AerLingus from Edinburgh to Dublin when we head for home from there :)

Thanks!

M

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to Edinburgh

No need to worry about that more than any other airline/airport. Flybe is one of the biggest airlines in the UK and I don't think they would be quite so popular if they kept cancelling their flights :-) It's more to do with the fact that the UK is rather small so there's really no need for massive jets to fly you from place to place. You'll see soon enough anyway - hope you enjoy your trip!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to Edinburgh

Made the reservations for flights so now working on tours :)

Many thanks!

M

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights to Edinburgh

Do not worry about the flight, I have been on the Edinburgh flight myself, and various other flybe flights on the "turbo prop" and it's great, the planes are really comfy and also have nice leather seats.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
192 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights to Edinburgh

Glad to hear as we are booked!

Thanks

M