We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

hello there - Need some inputs on my short and very quick trip to belfast. ( reach @ 7am and leave at 5 pm)

I'm visiting belfast to get my biometrics done and the address is here below

1 Drumkeen Complex, Upper Galwally, Belfast, United Kingdom, BT8 6TB

I'm flying to the city airport and like to know the below

1. Would you recommend public transport or take a cab from the airport and go straight away to the center? Is there an unlimited travel ticket option available?

2. Is the biometrics place within the city center? I'm asking this because, my work at the biometrics center is a matter of 10 mins after which i will need to look to go around the city.

3. Suggestions for places to visit in belfast.

4. How is the weather like in Belfast currently? Say first week of November

Thanks in advance for your help

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Hi,

Unfortunately the address you've given is not really anywhere near Belfast city centre - it's 5-6 miles away. Fortunately this website is very good at explaining how to get there by public transport from the city centre:

…homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/…

So, bearing this in mind, in answer to your questions:

1. The most convenient option would obviously be to jump straight into a taxi at the airport doors and go straight there, but I couldn't tell you how much it would cost and it might be quite a lot.

However it is also easy to get into the city centre using the 600 service airport bus and then connect to one of the buses mentioned at the website above. Here is information on the airport bus service:

translink.co.uk/Services/…

The easiest connection would probably be to get off the airport bus at Donegall Square South (i.e. behind the City Hall) and then walk to the stop for the 6A bus on Chichester Street.

According to the Translink website you can now use Metro Day Tickets on the airport bus, so it is probably worth buying one of those:

translink.co.uk/Metro/…

2. As I mentioned above, no it's not. However when your appointment is over you can easily jump on a bus back into the city centre and go about your sight-seeing from there.

3. This depends on what your interests are. Some people come for history, others for the pubs, for example. A good way to see most of the main tourist sites in the city is to go on a hop-on-hop-off open-top bus tour. City Sightseeing and Allen's Tours are two of the most popular companies that run these.

4. The weather at the moment... well, we had a lot of rain over the weekend and there's a bit of a chill in the air now, but it's generally fine when it's dry. That said, what one person considers comfortably is not necessarily the same as someone else. Check out weather.com for temperatures, etc. Also a good idea to wear layers and bring an umbrella just in case.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

The best bet to get to the Drumkeen would be a Taxi, as it is only around the ring road from the city airport. The fare would be about a £10 . You could get one at the airport door or Fon a cab 02890333333 .

Belfast, N. Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Good answers from the first two on getting around - taxi to your destination (ring fonacab like the man said, the airport taxis are a fierce price, and get picked up at the drop off site about 50m from the front door.) and then bus to the city centre. As to what to see, I would recommend a black taxi tour. These take you up to the west of the city to take in the murals and peace line. It is an excellent introduction to the recent history of the province and also to the dry dark humour of the place. These can be booked online or at the tourist centre in the city centre. A visit to the city hall is worthwhile. A grand Victorian pile, it again has local history and often interesting exhibitions. Queens university is about 20 mins walk from the centre of town and has a magnificent main building. The recently refurbished ulster museum is behind it and again gives an insight into who we are. A really decent lunch can be had at common grounds cafe in the nearby 'Holylands' called that due to the street names - then wander back into town along Botanic Ave to see more interesting local shops. (esp. No Alibis bookshop). By then your feet will be sore! Hope you have a super trip - and bring a brolly, it's almost certain to rain.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 21:45
County Antrim...
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

hi there, as the others have said, get a cab straight from the airport, to your destination, as you have only a short time in belfast, when you get finished at your appointment, head straight for one of the bus or taxi tours, gives you a bit of an insight of how things where, and a bit of light hearted belfast humour, you probably won,t have time to do much more, but this will maybe tempt you back sooner than later, cheers paul, aka digmon

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Spend £20 on taxis at least if you want to or just £2.90 for a day ticket on the bus (Metro). It's very easy by bus. Drumkeen Complex is just across the road from Forestside Shopping Centre. Its less than 3 miles from the City Centre. Metro bus 7 passes by and Metro 6 terminates there. There is a very frequent service, so frequent that there's not much point in looking at a timetable. Therefore take bus 600 from outside the airport to City Hall and then catch any 7 or 6. And as Bridget has said you can do that all on a day ticket which costs £2.90 after 9.30am or £3.50 before 9.30am. All the info you need is on www.translink.co.uk

As for the weather in the first week in November, we can tell you in the second week in November.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Thanks much for all your responses. Taking a day ticket on the metro bus seems a better option.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Yep and it's really straightforward. Have a look at the various stops/locations on a map before you go and if you get lost just ask a local - I'm sure they'll be happy to point you in the right direction! :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Thanks Bridget - I've an iphone :) but i know it can never replace a local's knowledge.

By the way you are an amazing individual...thank you so much...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Why thank you - that's a compliment you don't get every day! Made me blush ;-) Hope you have a good trip and everything goes smoothly for you!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Short trip to Belfast - Few questions

Finally i'm done with my biometrics....lovely city, lovely people...Bustling with people ...and the MTV show preparations were going on and the city was busy...People were very friendly....

Its a shame that i was there just for a day....I will plan for an ireland vacation next year....

Thanks for your suggestions....I never had a chance to look for cab...i toured the city in my own 'day ticket' :)