We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Hello,

I'm thinking of doing a weekend beginners' course in the Irish language at An Droichead in March. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing?

On a wider subject, I was wondering if Belfast have those literary or music pub crawls they have in Dublin. I found them an excellent way to spend the evenings as a woman alone in the city.

Is there anything like that?

Thanks so much.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Hi Nuala

No although An Droichead is well established in Belfast so I think you should have a good experience. I have attended one in Glencolmcille in Donegal which was a brilliant experience and had lots of people from all over the world there but it isn't the easiest place to get to!!

Usually these sort of courses will put on events in the evening - maybe céili dancing or something - it would be worthwhile asking whoever you have been dealing with. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something on.

The only pub tour I am aware of in Belfast runs from May to October so wouldn't be on when you are here unfortunately:(

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Thanks, ponaire. Yes, I've seen other courses in distant places so I thought I could combine the course with being in a city ie. Belfast. I was there for just one night last year and can't wait to get back.

I'm sure you're right and they will put something on in the evening after the course. I'll contact them again.

Thanks.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Sounds like fun! I only know of the one pub tour too which is closed for the season in March (so presumably the same one as ponaire). We also have literary (well, CS Lewis) tours but again they don't seem to have started again by March.

Are you interested in music and will be here on a Saturday? If so, you could maybe go on the Belfast Music Tour. Their website says their last season ended in November 2011 and doesn't give a date for the new season starting up again, but if you go into "Book Now", there are dates available from February 2012, including in March. If you'll be here it's worth looking into - people I know who've been on it loved it.

http://www.belfastmusic.org/music-tour.aspx

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

A Chara,

thanks Bridget, but at 2pm (when that tour starts) I will be learning cupla focal at An Droichead - ha! Followed by ceili dancing maybe........

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Their is always plenty of gaelic speakers in Maddens bar Berry st, King st corner who will only be to happy to engage you in Irish. Trad music or Set dancing most nights and always a wee bit of Craic.

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

Hehe well that sounds like fun anyway. You already know more Irish than I do it seems - maybe I should pop along to one of these courses too!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

I don't know enough to say more than the words I wrote down - certainly don't know anywhere near enough to have a bit of craic in Maddens!

Thanks, Bobby, I'll make a note of the pub anyway and see if I can call in there.

8. Re: pub crawl tours, irish language etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Belfast