We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child friendly pubs

5 posts
Save Topic
Child friendly pubs

Going to Belfast this weekend with my boyfriend and his two kids (8 and 12yo) and was looking for a recommendation for somewhere to have a pub lunch in the city centre. Any ideas?

Thanks

Laura

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child friendly pubs

Nope, but can I just say that the Giants will win. ;-)

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child friendly pubs

I just hope it isn't 10-0 ;-)

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child friendly pubs

Close enough. And you were lucky to get the 1. ;-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child friendly pubs

A low down on the legalities of children in pubs would be welcome. My son is 17 going 18 and I've never figured it out.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child friendly pubs

(Go Giants... sorry Fife!)

I don't quite understand the legalities of children in pubs here either. In some places it's fine, in other places you just wouldn't, but it's hard to tell why in each case. And even the same place can vary depending on the time/day - I'd happily bring a child for a meal at Wetherspoons on a weekday afternoon, but never on a Saturday night (even though they're probably still welcome, it's just not an atmosphere I would bring a child into). There seems to be no one rule or any logic in the matter.

In other parts of the world the general rule seems to be that if the pub serves food, children are welcome, whereas if it's just booze and bar snacks, it's adults only. That said, I'm sure I've read reviews of Belfast pubs that serve food turning away under 18s, so... who knows? I guess you could just ask on an individual basis.

Did you find somewhere to eat in the end by the way? :-)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,099 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child friendly pubs

The website for Bob Stewarts at Drumbeg, notorious for displaying large notices on approach that they don't serve children (not that tasty anyway) states: "On a more serious note take heed that under the Licensing Laws in Northern Ireland, we can not permit persons under 18 years of age within the premises, regardless if it is for the purpose of consuming food or not."

So does that imply that every other establishment, Weatherspoons included, are flouting the law?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child friendly pubs

Just out of interest I've had a look at The Licensing (Northern Ireland) Order 1996.

www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1996/3158/made

Articles 58 and 59 would seem to me to suggest that an establishment can apply for a "children's certificate", which allows children to be in an establishment that serves food (amongst other requirements) up until 9pm at night. I guess some places are willing to apply for/are granted a children's certificate and some places aren't, hence the confusion and why it seems to be on an individual basis whether children are allowed in or not.

8. Re: Child friendly pubs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 22:22