We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metropolitan Art Centre

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Metropolitan Art Centre

Has anyone visited the new MAC in Belfast?

http://themaclive.com/

Quite fancy the Lowry exhibition

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

Haven't been myself but my other half was there yesterday and says it is well worth seeing.

He was very impressed with the nice ambience and liked the quirky layout with some relaxing corners with great views.

He said the Connors and Lowrys on exhibition were well worth seeing.

Cafe and bar looked good but he didn't test them out!

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

great, might give it a try next week

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

I have requested that T.A. add the MAC to the list of Attractions in Belfast. Once listed, reviews can be made and added.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

Had this response from the MAC regarding entry fees..(which I now see is stated on their website).

"Our gallery spaces are open 7 days a week and all the exhibitions are free for everyone to enjoy. For more information about our Theatre shows I recommend visiting our website, themaclive.com or call and have a chat with us at the box office on 02890235053. We operate an early bird booking policy for theatre shows, so the earlier you book the cheaper it will be. Theatre tickets range from £9.50 - £22. You can also access the restaurant menu and prices on our website "

Hope to get there very soon

Edited: 25 April 2012, 16:31
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

Visited the MAC yesterday and it is truly world class. Such a treat to see so many Lowrys in one place! Unusual room with Belfast voices telling their stories was terrific and even enjoyed the monster chair exhibit!

The building itself is worth seeing and we enjoyed a glass of wine in the bar on the ground floor. The staff are all dressed in MAC T shirts and so enthusiastic about the whole place.

St Anne's square is very peaceful and lunch in the Potted Hen was good..

Would never visit Belfast city again without calling into the MAC.

A great addition to an amazing city.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

Great to hear that dublin4!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

Visited the MAC just a day or two after it opened. LIke the Tardis, it is much bigger inside than it looks from the outside. Stunning internal architecture reflects Belfasts industrial heritage with several good exhibitions inc LS Lowry and William Connor therein. There are two theatres I believe. The bar and eating areas were buzzing on a Sunday afternoon. If you are just wandering round, an hour or so would be adequate for a visit, but a longer experience could involve a tour of the galleries, a pre-theatre meal or drink plus a performance. The front of house staff were pleasant and knowledgeable. It's set at the side of the very pretty St.Anne's Square where several interesting-looking new bistros have sprung up. A welcome addition to Belfast's improving arts scene.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

I went to Belfast last weekend and visited the MAC on both days. I loved it there. On the Saturday we looked around the galleries, which were interesting and cost nothing to visit, and on Sunday we went to their first ever show , Titanic (Scenes from the British Wreck Commissioner’s Inquiry, 1912) which is definitely worth seeing and runs until 20th May. We paid only £15 each for row A seats and there's no booking fees to worry about. Thoroughly recommended and look forward to going again to see what's new when I'm next in Belfast.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

As an extra bit of info.

Had breakfast at the MAC this am.Open from 10 am. Excellent service and good selection of coffees and pastries.Hot breakfasts all around a fiver. loved the ear phones on the tables in the gallery ; ours played the sounds of the seashore at Holywood...... very novel idea.

Seafood chowder for lunch on Friday at the John Hewitt :highly recommended.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metropolitan Art Centre

visited the MAC today..cautiously welcomed...first impressions good, but a little confused by lack of clear signage...had trouble finding the `Lowry' exhb. as the door looked like a plate glass window. The Conor and Lowry exhb was great but some of the other works were a little uninspiring and it would be nice to have more exhibitions (perhaps that will come with time). Had a quick snack in the GF bar area and it cost us £12 for 2 coffees and two filled croissants!!! won't be eating there much.

Overall an interesting addition to Belfast's culture and the St Anne's square seemed to have some interesting eateries.

Staff enthusiastic and very welcoming. Good luck to them all.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 17:24