We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Redditch
12 posts
Save Topic
Transfer between the two Belfast airports

What would you do?

I'm arriving at Belfast International Airport from New York and i have about an hour and a half to get to Belfast City Airport.

I'm on my own so not fussy about comfort or whatever and best price is probably most important.

I assume the cost of transferring airports is on me and not part of the flight costs?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Where's the second flight to, and who is it with?

Did you buy them separately?

Wouldn't it have been easier to buy one to your final destination?

Redditch
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Its a direct flight from Birmingham to New York and a return flight from New York to Belfast International (Both United Airlines) followed by a Flybe flight from Belfast City to Birmingham.

I appreciate it looks like a weird way to do it but it saved £180 over coming back direct and meant i got return flights for a touch over £310 which is not too shabby, especially during the summer holidays.

Oh and i bought it all together through lastminute.com, it was there suggested option for my chosen day

Edited: 08 June 2012, 17:16
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

There is a direct coach service from Belfast International to Belfast City Airport. See www.airporter.co.uk for timetable.

It rather looks as though you have to pay for your own transfer.

Redditch
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

That's perfect, just what i was after!

30 mins and £8.50, doesn't sound like much hassle at all!

ps apologies for my wrong spelling of 'their' in post two, i can't edit it and know it upsets some people...

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

I would agree the Airporter is your best option if the timetable fits with your flights.

Alternatively you can take the 300 translink airport bus from the International airport to the Europa bus station in Belfast, then transfer there to the 600 service to the City airport. The 300 takes up to 45 mins and the 600 takes up to 25 minutes depending on the traffic, plus you need to factor in any waiting time for each of those buses (timetables are available on Translink's website - links below), so you could be cutting it a bit fine to do it in an hour and a half.

translink.co.uk/Services/…

translink.co.uk/Services/…

If none of those work out for you, there is always the taxi option, although it'll cost you about £30+.

Redditch
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Oh actually just looked at their timetable and it won't work, i'm arriving at 9am and the next coach isn't until 11.30am with my next flight at 12.20pm.

Bit of a shame that they have one random service gap like that, guess there aren't that many flights coming in or out at those times...

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Sorry about that, Simonay - but the 300 then the 600, as detailed in #5, is a viable option still and will not cost so very much more.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

We are overlooking two points here:

1 Will you have to wait for hold luggage at Belfast International?

2 You mention that your flight ex Belfast City is at 1220 - surely you have to be there long beforehand to check in? - and need to allow time to go through security?

Both reduce - considerably - the time available in which to travel from one airport to another so a direct taxi ride could well prove the only option. Expensive compared with services 300 plus 600 but, as you say, you have already obtained a good deal on your flights. It would be a shame to miss your onward connection for the sake of an extra £20 or so (being the difference in likely cost between the taxi fare and the two coach fares).

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

Ok let's see if this can work.

Say your New York flight arrives on time at Belfast International at 9am. You then have to wait to disembark the plane, then clear passport control and then reclaim your baggage. I've waited 30 minutes at times for passport control alone, so even say 45 minutes all in from plane to front door.

I don't know what day you're travelling, which will obviously affect the times of the buses, but let's assume for now it's the M-F timetable, in which case there's a 9.45am bus that would (supposedly, although bear in mind it's rush hour going into the capital city) get you into the Europa at 10.20am.

There's then a 10.25am 600 bus that would get you to the City airport at 10.38am (again traffic willing).

That would be more than enough time to check in with Flybe for a domestic flight at 12.20pm in my personal opinion (I think they say to check in no later than 40 mins before but I like to leave at least an hour in case the security line is horrendous, which it sometimes is).

So the bus option is actually feasible... however there are a lot of "if"s here... if you're not travelling on a Sunday (buses are less frequent), if your plane is delayed, if there's a long queue at passport control, if you miss one or the other airport buses... any small delay could have a knock-on effect that could leave you short of time.

I think maybe just have both options on hand (the buses and the taxi) and then see what happens on the day. pausilypon is right in that £20 extra isn't much to pay for the security of knowing you'll make your next flight, but then again if you're out of the International airport in plenty of time, perhaps it's an unnecessary expense.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer between the two Belfast airports

The only thing that would put me of the bus is that the Newark flight is nearly allways late, have the taxi fare at hand £30 just in case, There are cabs at the airport door which will have you in city airport in 30mins