We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

Cumbria
5 posts
Save Topic
Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

I will be visiting Belfast next week (24th June) and would like my 13 yr old stepson to hear some trad Irish music preferably in a pub. Does anyone know of any suitable pubs or venues?

Thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

It's actually a trickier question than it sounds. The licensing laws in NI are a bit strange when it comes to children - I think the gist of it is that a pub can allow children but only if it also serves food in a separate areas from the main bar, only before a certain time in the evening and only if they have a certificate. I genuinely have no idea if any of the traditional Irish bars meet all of those criteria - you might have to contact a few and ask them in advance. A few that have traditional Irish music and also serve food that you could try are the John Hewitt, Robinsons, Ronnie Drews and White's Tavern, but I think most of their music sessions are in the evening so I'm not sure children would be allowed.

Come to think of it, as it's a Sunday you'll be here, an alternative might be at Benedict's Hotel - the bar there has an afternoon traditional Irish music band on Sunday afternoons and because it's a hotel and during the day they might be more likely to admit children. It's certainly worth checking with them anyway.

Hope you find something suitable!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

Robert Stewart Spirit Grocer (actually a pub-restaurant) have their own specific negative interpretation:

http://www.bobstewarts.co.uk/

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

That isn't so much an interpretation of the law as a statement of their specific policy so I would suggest checking with a few places as was previously mentioned.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

I would agree with captainplanet, if only because I know places like Wetherspoons have their own children's menu, so there can't possibly be a blanket ban on anyone under 18 in pubs - perhaps Bob Stewarts just haven't obtained a children's certificate, in which case what they say would indeed be correct.

5. Re: Licensing Laws - Are 13 year old children allowed in pubs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Belfast