We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wich hotel?

Level Contributor
203 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Wich hotel?

Hi

My husband & me are visiting Belfast for the first time next month.. We will be arriving from Dublin by bus & staying for 3nts. Can anyone help with hotel suggestions please? All the hotels seem to have good reviews so I'm really struggling to decide which one to book.We are planning to do the HOHO tour & visit the Titanic expedition & then concentrate on the nightlife. I don't mind walking during the day but prefer to stay somewhere that limits night-time walking in my heels!! Am I right in thinking the Cathedral Quarter may be the best area for us? We are late 40's early 50's so looking for good pubs (preferably with musicians) & restaurants not night clubs.

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Quarter
Cathedral Quarter
698 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wich hotel?

I do think that the Cathedral Quarter would be most suitable for you. There are lots of great bars and restaurants in the area. For live music you can find everything from traditional folk in the likes of White's Tavern or the John Hewitt to live jazz in Bert's.

The main hotels there are the Premier Inn Cathedral Quarter (basic but clean, comfortable and well situated between the nightlife in the CQ and the main shopping area), the Ramada Encore (the furthest from the centre of town but close to all the great restaurants that have opened in St Anne's Square), The Malmaison (boutique feel to it - short walk across a busy road to the CQ but also close enough to the Lagan for a walk along the river on nice evenings), and, if budget allows, The Merchant (gorgeous, has its own bars and restaurants as well as being close to lots of others and probably the best situated of the CQ hotels).

However there are some other options not in the CQ that could work just as well. Ten Square is just behind the City Hall, making it arguably Belfast's most central hotel. There are some great bars and restaurants within a 1-10 minute walk of there.

Alternatively the Great Victoria Street area is also pretty well thought of, with hotels like the Europa, Jury's Inn and The Fitzwilliam. It wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of area to stay, if only because it's quite busy with tourists and office workers during the day and can get quite noisy at night, but lots of people enjoy the area.

Mentioned in this post
Cathedral Quarter
Cathedral Quarter
698 Reviews
Belfast, UK
White's Tavern
White's Tavern
186 Reviews
Belfast, UK
City Hall
City Hall
3,518 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Malmaison
Malmaison
1,514 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Europa Hotel - Belfast
Europa Hotel - Belfast
4,752 Reviews
Belfast, UK
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
The Fitzwilliam Hotel...
3,598 Reviews
Belfast, UK
The John Hewitt
The John Hewitt
271 Reviews
Belfast, UK
Level Contributor
203 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wich hotel?

Thanks for your reply Bridget Jones you've been very helpful. I've already looked at The Merchant but unfortunately there's no rooms available. :(

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wich hotel?

That is a shame. Still if you wanted to experience the Merchant anyway, you could go for afternoon tea there or try out their spa. Hotel-wise, the Malmaison is really only across the road from The Merchant and is also well regarded.

Mentioned in this post
Malmaison
Malmaison
1,514 Reviews
Belfast, UK
4. Re: Wich hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 06:16