We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Irish TV channels

Which Belfast hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KILLARNEY
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Southern Irish TV channels

Visit NI regularly for work and find it frustrating that I cant get RTE or TV3 in the Hotels. Intend bringing my famly at some stage to experience NI as a tourist but wonder why I can get the news on AL Jazeera but not RTE? not very customer friendly iwould suggest..

KILLARNEY
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

Raydar, thats exactly my point, hotels I've stayed in had, CNN, Al Jazeera, French, German, in fact a plethera of channels to cater for international travellers. I suspect that a large proportion of visitors to NI are from the south and I do not believe that it unreasonable to expect equal treatment with visitors from other destinations.

Also, as I pointed out I usually travel for business, If i was there for pleasure i would probably have little interest in watching TV and would be happy to do as Romans do.

In the south by the way it is typical to find BBCNI, UTV etc available in hotels.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

nod, Kerryman, nod......

Belfast
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

How many visitors come to Belfast (or indeed any other city) to watch tv!? That aside, alot of Southern TV just duplicates UK TV with Eastenders and Coronation Street filling up prime time.

With respect, it seems a rant about nothing

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

Er, business travellers in the evening?????

No one is ranting. It's an interesting point in 2012!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

I've been to many hotels in the South which didn't have BBC or UTV and if they did the picture quality was rubbish so why the rant about no RTE in Northern Ireland hotels

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

Which hotels Paul?

Who is 'ranting'??

I get the feeling that if someone asks a question or expresses an opinion that soneone doesn't agree with, it becomes a 'rant'!!!

:-D

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

I recall a certain town in Ireland about twenty years ago where you could get all the main UK channels through by subscribing to the local cable TV company. That was up until the UK providers realised they were doing it (illegally without paying) and pulled the plug. Its probably down to cost. Usual story. Can you not get RTE streamed news via smartphone like you can with the BEEB?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

Seanbee,there must have been a lot of snow in London on Tuesday night as when I turned on Eastenders in Bewley's @ Leopardstown it looked like there was a blizzard going on lol!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

Aah but Paul at least you had the right to watch Eastenders!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Southern Irish TV channels

I didn't or would never watch even at home, but the 'snow' on the screen make it impossible to watch anything, I only switched on the TV to tryand get some music on while I getting changed after a long dayworking but alas not one music channel

Edited: 13 December 2012, 17:27