We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry to rail station

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
442 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
ferry to rail station

will arrive on ferry from Scotland and want to get to rail station to Dublin. Is it walkable? About how long would the walk be?

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry to rail station

I would take about 1hr15mins to walk , Stenalink Taxis meet each ferry and it would cost about £10. There is a bus, but it is very infrequant.

Edited: 07 November 2012, 08:22
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry to rail station

Nope, it's not at all walkable. Your best bet would be to get a taxi from the port to Central railway station.

The alternative would be to get the bus from the port to the city centre and to walk from there to Central, but that's more hassle than it's worth.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry to rail station

Forget about walking.

The bus service - Metro 96, pink bus - offers 8 departures Monday to Friday; 3 departures on Saturday; and 3 departures on Sunday. Full details on www.translink.co.uk - but then one has to walk from Donegall Place in the city centre to Central Station.

I seldom recommend taxis as I find them too expensive for a solo traveller with minimal luggage but this is one case where a taxi, if costing around £10, would be worth using.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry to rail station

Take the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne instead of Belfast and the railway station is part of the ferry terminal.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry to rail station

But you'll end up paying more for the train from Larne to Central than you would for a taxi from Belfast Port to Central. ;-)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry to rail station

"Take the ferry from Cairnryan to Larne instead of Belfast and the railway station is part of the ferry terminal."

But, at present, the railway line between Larne Harbour and Larne Town is closed for renovation.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,660 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry to rail station

If I was travelling from Scotland to Belfast I would probably be on the direct 923 coach from Edinburgh and Glasgow (also stops in Ayr). This is the best way if you are travelling without a car IMO, any other way is too much faff.

The coach service is operated jointly by Scottish Citylink and Ulsterbus under the 'Eurolines' banner. Coaches go over on the ferry and drop you right in the centre of Belfast, at the Europa Bus Centre.

From Europa Bus Centre you can catch another coach direct to Dublin. Or you can transfer by train from the adjacent Great Victoria Street rail station to Belfast Central for a train to Dublin.

Edinburgh & Glasgow to Belfast:

eurolines.co.uk/timetables/eurolines-norther…

Belfast to Dublin by coach:

https:/…

Edited: 09 November 2012, 10:24
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry to rail station

"But, at present, the railway line between Larne Harbour and Larne Town is closed for renovation."

Harbour station was to re-open on 4 Nov. Translink journey planner is showing departures so I presume that it did reopen as planned.

9. Re: ferry to rail station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:17